PDA

View Full Version : Hi Guys, Newbie Hoping To Start A Team

jamie.read
26-01-2010, 09:10 PM
hi folks, my name`s Jamie, i am hoping to get a group set up for angus, tayside and perth& kinross. i have tried the "contact us" page and it didnt work so, i messaged a guy called matt from one of the groups......... and so i am here!

how do i get started? i have canvassed a few opinions and have one definite member plus myself, pathetic i know, but gotta start somewhere! read all the info from your pages and it all sounds do-able, so , where to start?!http://www.4x4response.info/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif

PeteRestall
26-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Now doubt you'll get a lot of opinions on how to do it.

For my two pennies worth:

1. I'd join the national network, an invaluable resource!!

2. Contact any local 4x4 clubs to gauge possible support.

3. Spend a while checking paperwork etc. so you do it right from the start.

If you need a hand with anything, feel free to contact us, as we've just gone through the process of setting up.

Other, more established, teams, I'm sure will offer advice as well, which will be worth paying attention to.

Pete

Foxy1961
26-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Hi Jamie,

I'm at the same stage as yourself but just a little further ahead!

The knowledge & expertise I have gained over the past few weeks has been invaluable.

The guys on here have been so helpful & PATIENT!!!

A big Thank you to Bobwessex/Simon Bently/Nigel Leyland....

P.S....I've not finished asking all the stupid questions yet!

Simon Bentley
26-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Jay - yes sorry about the contact us button - unavoidable issue at the moment - soon to be resolved.

As Pete has said - start canvassing all te local 4x4 clubs but also a post on the larger 4x4 forums can be worthwhile too.

Announce a meeting and get the interested people together, you're going to need to elect a committee and then look at paperwork like a constitution etc. Join people up there and then if you can and set a membership fee (£10-£20 seems to e the norm).

Have a look into the borders of the various authorities (Blue light services, councils etc) round your area and see how your proposed area aligns itself. Its not absolutely imperative that you use the same border but ultimately it will be easier operationally.

You'll need a name and a logo too - I'd suggest you use a logo based on the national one as many other groups do but you're free to choose anything you like.

I can forward you sample paperwork that will help you, no point reinventing the wheel - we've all been there and done it before so hopefully can save you some time ad effort.

PeteRestall
26-01-2010, 09:42 PM
P.S....I've not finished asking all the stupid questions yet!

We probably never will!!

BobWessex
26-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Hi Jay,

I know that things are slightly different in the devolved regions but feel free to ask and we'll do what we can to help. Many of the existing teams have paperwork and SLAs that you can use as a template.

Tony Ferrari
26-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Jamie

Be prepared for lots of hard work but it is worth it and try and get a good core team so tyou don't end up doing everything yourself.

I take it you have looked through the website information

http://www.4x4response.info/content.php?p=formANewGroup

And on the forum at

http://www.4x4response.info/forum/index.php?/topic/974-guide-lines-for-establishing-a-4x4-response-group/

It might be worth getting in touch with some of the other Scottish Groups, with the exception of COTAG in Moray and Aberdeenshire all are pretty new and/or still forming, so you will no doubt have lots to share.

As has been said, best to set your borders based on what in England and Wales are known as Local Resilience Forums (LRF) but in Scotland are called Stratigic Coordinating Groups, there are eight based on Police Areas.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Justice/public-safety/emergencies/regions

These are listed with the coresponding 4x4 Response Team, although those marked * only cover part of a group area at present

1. Grampian (COTAG* - established)

2. Highland (Scottish Highlands - very new)

3. Borders and Lothian (Scottish Borders 4x4 Response and Lothian 4x4 Response - both new)

4. Strathclyde (Strathclyde 4x4 Response* - still forming)

5. Tayside (which I assume is your area)

6. Fife (no Group)

7. Central (no Group)

8. Dumfries and Galloway (no Group)

So can I suggest Tayside 4x4 Response as a suitable name?

Contacts on the forum for other new groups are:

Highland - CLUNYKNOX (Andrew Knox)

Lothian - ColinR (Colin Rodger)

Borders - Mel_Borders (Mel Fox)

Strathclyde - Rab Bark (Robert Bark)

Can't seem to find the COTAG rep at present but I am sure someone will let us know.

Any questions just post here or ask one of the Trustees:

BobWessex (Bob Hatcher)

Simon Bentley

Paul Johns

Tony Ferrari

Good luck and keep us posted

Tony

BobWessex
27-01-2010, 07:44 AM
COTAG Contact details are www.cotag.net Chair Sue Rodwell, who is not a member of the forum as far as I know - However Alan Stephenson who is a member may be able to help

jamie.read
27-01-2010, 12:22 PM
thanks guys that all helps. any templates etc would be brilliant, i think for a logo we`ll stick with the origonal, but hey thats all open to discussion when we arrange a meeting as we are now three strong!!

as for getting the word out, i am a member of mud-club.com and have posted there with little response and have since discovered scottish members are rare! so, i posted on gumtree and have had a few bites there.

phil-hampton
27-01-2010, 01:00 PM
you could try landyzone and olhi there are a few jockaness there abouts

http://www.landyzone.co.uk

http://onelaughhaveit.co.uk/

jamie.read
27-01-2010, 07:18 PM
cheers phil, joined landyzone and posted.... now the wait!

jimhancock
27-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Hi there,

We have just started on our own down here in Devon & Cornwall (with the help and support of Wessex)and much material is being produced for our membership which has risen from 20 to nearly 80!

Any help regarding setting up the new teams please ask, most of my team members originally joined through the local 4x4 Club Forums, who let us have our own section initially and still do, where we post details of our events and meetings.

We now have our own forum but I continue to post snippets and reports on the clubs forums.

However we are now reaching saturation point with 80 members!!

JIMDC17

jamie.read
27-01-2010, 07:36 PM
thanks Jim, im sure i`ll be getting on everyones nerves before too long! im gonna give it a week and then see what numbers are like and arrange a meeting.