PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in West Midlands

markwd
27-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Hi, I'm Mark from Tipton in the West Midlands. Ex-NHS Ambulance Service, succomb to the dreaded back bad syndrome. I have a keen appetite for 4x4ing and have done for over 20years. Got myself a Disco 300tdi all geared up, mt's, snorkel, full roofrack.
Looking forward to getting involved.
Can someone from the WM Group please get in touch.
Respect to you all
Mark

Tony Ferrari
27-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Welcome Mark

The West Midlands group is still in the forming process but Tim Childe posted only yesterday to say they are organising a meeting very soon.

Not sure if you can see this post yet (on your current access level), shout if you can't!

http://www.4x4response.info/showthread.php?t=1571&page=2

markwd
27-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Thanks for info. I can access the page but cannot post on it. Hopefully Tim will see this and get in touch with me.
Many thanks, Mark

Tony Ferrari
27-09-2010, 09:30 PM
I've sent him a PM to bring his attention to this thread.

Teresa Herefordshire
29-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Hi Mark

Glad you found your way in. :)

Think there are a few new people showing an interest around the West Mids so hope you get something organised soon.

markwd
30-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Many thanks Teresa for your help.

Praetorian
30-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Hello from old hill in the country of black.
I'm another one that's interested in joining the west mids group.
Briefly, I'm ex hm forces (10 yrs) and own a Discovery Td5 with off road tyres, snorkel and 12000lb front winch.
Looking forward to getting involved.

Stu.

markwd
30-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Hi Stu, not too far away from me then.
Hope to meet up some of the guys & girls soon.
Mark

Praetorian
30-09-2010, 07:24 PM
I was closer, I was living in Tividale until three months ago.

TimChilde
30-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Simon is off to the pub on Friday......

.....he's checking that we can use it for our next meet which will be in October.

Assuming all is well, details will follow shortly ;)

Praetorian
30-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Ha ha ha ha ha, what a great excuse! "I'm off to the pub dear, to check if it's ok to use for meetings".
I'll have to remember that one for myself.

Andy Phillips
01-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Hi Mark, Stu

I live in West Brom and have attended a few WM meetings. I will keep an eye on the thread and let you guys know dates if that helps.

I am the odd one out, I drive a Jeep Wrangler TJ.

markwd
02-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Hi Andy, that'll be good. Why do you say your'e the odd one out? its got 4 wheek drive and does the job. I was reading another thread that seemed to bash on about the tricked up landie brigade possibly scaring the punters. I tricked mine up to do the job I want it to do, but if can help others out then fine i'll make it/myself available. Over the years I have owned 4x4's i have always made them available to the Ambulance Service when the snow was on the ground, not as an emergency response but as a transport facility to get control staff into work and back home, as you know the Black Country can and does grind to a halt regularly. Anyways looking forward to meeting up with guys and girls from the network.
Regards, Mark

Andy Phillips
05-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Just a light hearted joke Mark. I am use to turning up to events etc and being the odd one out. Doesn't bother me at all, I find it funny at times.

Looking forward to getting together, so will keep you posted.

phil worrall
10-10-2010, 11:11 PM
hi my names phil and im from wolverhampton im new to 4x4 response can you tell me is the west mids team set up and what kind of things that you can be called on to do i drive a g4 challenge land rover 110

markwd
11-10-2010, 04:54 PM
i'm still waiting to hear from the people in the know myself mate, something is supposed to be being sorted re a meeting. Welcome anyways.

phil worrall
11-10-2010, 07:19 PM
thanks id like to find out what kind of things are called upon in this area i dont suppose our roads get too bad as they are normally cleared quiet quickly also how the training days work as i haven't done much with mine yet apart from land rover shows which dont count

Tony Ferrari
12-10-2010, 08:05 AM
Phillip

Send Tim Childe (http://www.4x4response.info/member.php?u=249) a PM to find out what's going on (although I'm sure Tim will be along here soon).

West Midlands is still in the early stages of forming so has not yet responded to any callouts. As to the roads not getting too bad, the Team does aspire to cover West Midlands, Staffordshire and Shropshire so some fairly varied territory out there.

With regards to conditions in the West Midlands, in some ways that may be similar to my own in Hertfordshire with our own proximity to London. However in the last couple of years we have done the following:

Snow:

Delivered Meals on Wheels
Transported paramedics to/from work
Transported emergency services control centre staff to/from work
Carried Home Carers to their visits
Transported non 999 patients to Hospital
Recovering Ambulances and from snow
Recovering motorists at the request of the Police
Self delpoyment at RTC

Assisted BHC 4x4 Response in Bedfordshire at:
RTC on A1 Biggleswade bypass taking supplies to trapped drivers and helping clear up a shed load
Assisting at Gas and Water outage in the village of Caddington, transporting heaters & cookers to vulnerable residents, transporting various agencies around the village.

Other:

Transporting anti-viral medicines to the "flu friendless" during the flu pandemic.

So you can still expect to be kept busy even in a more urbanised area

TimChilde
13-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Phillip

Send Tim Childe (http://www.4x4response.info/member.php?u=249) a PM to find out what's going on (although I'm sure Tim will be along here soon).

I picked the wrong time to not be online for a few days, then ;)

Anyway, all of what Tony said :D

We should be having a meeting in October - just waiting for confirmation that the pub know we're coming. At one of the meetings earlier in the year 30+ turned up, so it's only fair to check with the landlady first!!

(Though I have to admit that at one of the meeting there were only 8 of us - it can be variable!)

Tim.C

markwd
13-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks Tim, that's if i aint been banned from the network for having a pop at some bolk who thinks its ok to get rid of a bad motor on some unsuspecting punter. Makes my blood boil. Ta Mark

BobWessex
13-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Mark please see the K-seal thread (http://www.4x4response.info/showthread.php?t=1759).

phil worrall
21-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Hi as I'm new to all this I was wondering what you need to do to vehicles and what equipment is needed to be carried

Tony Ferrari
21-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Phil

I think this says it all (from the FAQs)....

Do I need a tricked up Land Rover challenge truck?

No, firstly you don’t need a Land Rover as 4x4 Response welcomes any make of 4x4. The important thing is that the vehicle is capable of doing the job, so for many situations a standard 4x4 will do just fine. Although many 4x4 Response members do own Land Rovers, we also have members with Shoguns, Land Cruisers, Fronteras, Delicias, Mavericks, Terranos and even vehicles as varied as Kia Sorrentos, Nissans Qashqais, Audi All Roads and Subaru Imprezas.

A suggested kit list is:

No. 3 Equipment Carried

It is recommended that all vehicles have the following minimum equipment

Radio transceiver. CB, PMR or other radio transceiver on compatible frequency with other deployed vehicles. This should be an independent form of communication i.e. does not rely upon an external network.
Mobile phone with number known by Controller
Notebook & pencil
Identity card. 4x4 Response Group Identity Card
Recovery kit. Recovery rope & shackles (suitable for vehicle)
OS Maps. Relevant Ordnance Survey maps for operational area
Blanket
Toolkit
Spade/shovel
Torch
First Aid kit (for personal use)
PPE. Any specified Protective Equipment identified with the Health & Safety Standard.
Secure stowage. All equipment carried must be stored in such a way as to not cause any risk of injury whilst driving on uneven terrain.

Martyn
01-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Another newbie here!! :)

I'm a bit cautious cos I need to evaluate how much comitment I can offer (I'm an RN, been working in trauma ITU for 11 years and work shifts). I'm interested in mebbe looking at what's happening in the Staffordshire area?

I drive a fairly standard 54 plate defender 90 h/t with a set of muds and a CB. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Oh and hello! :)

Andy Phillips
01-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Have a look here http://www.westmids4x4response.co.uk/forum