PDA

View Full Version : Tapatalk signatures

mark avo
19-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Chaps,

I have viewing of signatures disabled on my profile as I really not interested in reading the same thing time & again.

It seems that TAPATALK gets round this & I end up reading 'posted from tapatalk' a dozen times on every thread.

Now nothing personal, but this really winds me up.

Can signatures please be confined to the correct place & not included in the text of every post.

Simon Bentley
19-12-2010, 12:04 PM
The signature is added by the phone to the post not by the forum to the signature box.

I am sure it is probably possible to disabel it in the phones settings but I have just suggested an alternative to Patrick that would work for all wether they like it or not.

Alan B Wessex
19-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Keep the tablets outside for a nice, chilled pill?

No, fair point Mark. I've removed the Signature in my Tapatalk settings.

Cheers

Al

Tony Ferrari
19-12-2010, 12:06 PM
It is certainly possible to disable it on a Blackberry as I can do it on my work one.

Also works for iPhone as mine doesn't seem to leave a signature.

So I assume you can do it from the rest

mark avo
19-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Thanks Alan, 1 down 999 to go.

The only reason I hate it so much is that it's free unsolicited advertising for the suppliers, be it iphone, blackberry, tapatalk or whatever & It's about the only advert I cant find a way of blocking automatically

Simon Bentley
19-12-2010, 12:14 PM
It's about the only advert I cant find a way of blocking automatically

Patrick just found a way forum wide and is now checking for other such signatures to add to the remove list.

patrick
19-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Stripped to be replaced by whitespace, still in some caches but should work its way out shortly. I've added sigs that I've seen from HTC phones, ipod touch and iphone, shout if you see any more..

mark avo
19-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Top man... Thanks chaps

Personally if it was one of my forums I would just have added the phrase to the banned section & replaced it with something insulting - but then I'm like that

PaulH
19-12-2010, 03:33 PM
another one for you?:

As I'm out this is from my Phone using Tapatalk.

patrick
19-12-2010, 03:57 PM
another one for you?:

This isn't a standard signature, this is one someone has actively set, therefore I don't think it meets the criteria of the automatic removal set up here (correct me if I'm mistaken please guys). In this situation as its been set by the user, and not just on by default, a quiet word may be more appropriate.

Cheers

Patrick

kevinstorr
19-12-2010, 04:54 PM
The standard setting (at least for Tapatalk on the iPhone) I The signature is turned off.

Personally I changed the default to show where I was posting from.

Oh and ........

- CRAG - Treadlightly -

Peter_Morgan
19-12-2010, 05:20 PM
The standard setting (at least for Tapatalk on the iPhone) I The signature is turned off.

Personally I changed the default to show where I was posting from.

Oh and ........

- CRAG - Treadlightly -

Yes, but the whole point of this post is why do we need to know this (sorry) but useless information? Does it matter to anyone else where you are sending your information from? Does it matter to anyone else what sort of phone you've got? Next thing we'll be seeing is " Responded in my Blue Discovery Serengeti whilst wearing nothing but my favourite leopard print thong!" :rolleyes:

Kevin Blain
19-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Tiger stripes, please. Looks much better than leopard print in hi-vis.

mark avo
19-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Looks like I've started something here

Sent from my desktop, in my home office, sitting in a leather chair that I got from a mate, wearing my best winter lined trousers in case I have to go out.

WarrenWE02
19-12-2010, 06:49 PM
I really don't understand why people are getting so wound up by this. It's a few words at the bottom of a post!

I have a sig block (below) which comes up on every post I make. When I post from my phone, there is an extra line which says 'From my mobile device' (and will continue to do so)

Where's the damage in that??

mattgreen
19-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Surely we have more important things to do than bickering about telling people what they should or shouldn't be writing at the bottom of their messages?

Where has all this "i don't like it so you should not do it" come from?

You guys need to stop telling people what they should and shouldn't be doing.

patrick
19-12-2010, 07:10 PM
I really don't understand why people are getting so wound up by this. It's a few words at the bottom of a post!

I have a sig block (below) which comes up on every post I make. When I post from my phone, there is an extra line which says 'From my mobile device' (and will continue to do so)

Where's the damage in that??

Hi Warren,

I think the problem has come about because people can choose in their options whether to display signatures in posts or not, so if they are low on bandwidth or short of time or simply choose to, they can turn them off. Adding signatures which are not actually signatures on the forum, but text at the bottom of every post, circumvents that.

Cheers

Patrick

Alan B Wessex
19-12-2010, 07:10 PM
I have no opinion

Sent by the power of Ood mind control.

Grant Whiteside
19-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Help! I can't work out how to turn off the signature on the e-mails from this blackberry, let alone the one on tapathingy! Anyone know how to do it and able to explain it in tecno-numpty terms? :?

kevinstorr
20-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Yes, but the whole point of this post is why do we need to know this (sorry) but useless information? Does it matter to anyone else where you are sending your information from? Does it matter to anyone else what sort of phone you've got? Next thing we'll be seeing is " Responded in my Blue Discovery Serengeti whilst wearing nothing but my favourite leopard print thong!" :rolleyes:

Ok so I don't put that I'm sending from my phone but I would still include the app that I'm using. If it wasn't for seeing it in on another thread in a signature I wouldn't have found that app.

So that is informative which is what a signature is all about. What information you give there is up to you but should be personalised.

I don't believe you can strip out this from Tapatalk as it is included as just standard text just on the end of your post.

However if you wish it could be done via banned words but now you are talking censorship and I for one would not be happy if that was were we are going with this.

It is one thing to block/remove obscenities but to block other information raises serious questions.

I for one have found the information gleaned on Tapatalk from someones signature to be excellent and very useful. It let's me keep up with things on the forum for which I would have to make a special decision to boot the computer and check.

This is from my Mobile device using Tapatalk the easyway too keep informed.

- CRAG - Treadlightly -

Grant Whiteside
20-12-2010, 01:14 AM
Help! I can't work out how to turn off the signature on the e-mails from this blackberry, let alone the one on tapathingy! Anyone know how to do it and able to explain it in tecno-numpty terms? :?

Posted that usin tapathingy, yet it doesn't say so. Cool!; still cant change the chuffin BB e-mail thingy! :confused:

mark avo
20-12-2010, 06:11 AM
Posted that usin tapathingy, yet it doesn't say so. Cool!; still cant change the chuffin BB e-mail thingy! :confused:

The BB sig is in your email options: setup -> email options

As for the other 'signatures' Chaps, you're missing the point.

There's no problem with signatures when they are used correctly, it's just that signature info should be in the signature field, then it's up to the user if they want to see at or not.

Repetative info in the post field is just spam, pure and simple.

Peter_Morgan
20-12-2010, 10:45 AM
I agree that the signature does give relevant and useful information and I agree that it's up to the reader to turn on or off the signature view, I just don't think we need to know what method a poster used to send his post . If I added the details below, every post, I feel sure that most people would get bored of the uselessness of the information. I'm just asking for people to keep information relevant. I don't think that's too much to ask, do you?

Sent from my Compaq Presario CQ56 using Windows 7