PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

craigbrannen
13-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Hi,

I am a member of Peak 4x4 and I have a question that I hope someone can help me with.

I phoned my current car insurer, Admiral, to check with them that they are ok with me doing volunteer work and they have responded that they would not cover it in any way,

I think there is a list of insurers somewhere on the forum that do understand what we do so I am looking for someone to point me in the right direction or if you have any insurance company suggestions as I will be changing it.

Thanks

Craig

jamie.read
13-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Theres this-
http://www.abi.org.uk/Information/Consumers/General/Volunteer_Driving_.aspx

Tony Ferrari
13-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Thanks Jamie, you found it before I did!

jamie.read
13-12-2012, 12:08 PM
:D One of many bookmarks that have been useful in the past

craigbrannen
13-12-2012, 02:56 PM
thanks guys,
turns out admiral are ok with it so happy days!!

LinC
13-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Just got a great deal with Adrian Flux. Saga refused to cover my Disco if I added a snorkel. Adrian Flux saw no problem and gave me cover for off-road and green laneing as a standard part of the policy. All at a resaonable price!

brava199
13-12-2012, 10:53 PM
They have to cover green Lane as it is a road

craigbrannen
14-12-2012, 07:22 AM
I tried flux at my last renewal but they wouldn't cover my 110 county as it had 8 seats...

nigel leyland
14-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Two points Craig, first can you ask your Peak 4x4 Response Rep to have your forum access canged as that will save me having to "Approve" every post you make (otherwise no one would be able to see it) and second, you'll then have access to other areas of the forum and access to Dan here on the forum, who is the Rep for Adrian Flux and it may be worth contacting him regarding your last post.

Cheers Nigel.

emtphil
15-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Just got a great deal with Adrian Flux. Saga refused to cover my Disco if I added a snorkel. Adrian Flux saw no problem and gave me cover for off-road and green laneing as a standard part of the policy. All at a resaonable price!

All car insurence covers green lanes as they are legal rights of way/roads. A company who wont cover u on a green lane id be woried to drive the m1as they would not cover that.

LinC
16-12-2012, 08:29 AM
All car insurence covers green lanes as they are legal rights of way/roads. A company who wont cover u on a green lane id be woried to drive the m1as they would not cover that.

Maybe someone should tell the folks on Saga's call centre. They didn't know what a snorkel, rock slider or green lane were when I rang to update my cover. When I explained what a green lane was they classed it as off-road. They referred the call to their underwriters and they came back with a refusal to provide any cover at all. So they lost my business and I got a better policy at the same price. Their loss, my gain!

Dave B at Borg
29-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Anyone else having dificulty getting hold of 'Flux's customer support types? I keep sending documents and photo's to them, as requested, the "my Adrian Flux" site says all is complete, but they keep asking, with the same wording each time. This is just for a renewal, and nothing material has changed regarding the vehicle etc..

I've tried and tried to call them ad-nausium, but the lines are always busy (or switched off after 5:30 pm) and as yet, no one's called me back. that and their email system just spits back boiler plate messages.

The insurance runs out in a day or three (this has been going on two weeks!) so I'm getting more than a little twitchy.

Regards. Dave B.

trevmales
29-04-2013, 07:00 PM
pm dan frpm adrian flux he checks this regular and will arrange a call back.

WessexMario
29-04-2013, 08:23 PM
This is the Dan you need...
http://www.4x4response.info/member.php?u=337

Dave B at Borg
30-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Thanks Mario.

PM sent.

For a company that says they champion customer service, it seems well and truly broken just now.

Dave.

WessexMario
30-04-2013, 07:30 PM
to be fair, I think the difference in the quality of the staff in each of the major insurance companies varies far more than the difference between any of the companies.
The result you get seems to depend far more on which person answers the phone, rather than which company you call. ie: they all have their share of good guys and muppets.

Dave B at Borg
01-05-2013, 08:17 AM
Well, indeed, when you get to talk to a real live human, all (hopefully) is resolved.

My issue is with the (aparrently recently rolled out) automated email response/web based system, that would appear to still need some (quite a lot I suspect) of work doing to it, that you cant seem to bypass.

The other thing, other co's have a telephone presence (if just a call center, but it's a start) at weekends (or part of the we) for non claim business. AF just close at 5:30PM on a Friday, and sadly we have to work those same hours too.

Oh well, hopefully on the way to being resolved, but it was an uphill struggle just to contact them and talk to anyone, needing Dan to prod someone on my behalf. (Thanks Dan)

Regards.

Dave Baxter.

dave - Crowborough
04-09-2013, 09:37 AM
One of our members is (was) insured with Elephant.co.uk which is owned by Admiral. In the letter he has received confirming that he is covered for volunteer driving is the following restriction " No cover is allowed under the policy for Blue Light Use or the use of any other emergency or warning lights." When he queried this he was told that the restriction applied to all policies issued by companies in the Admiral group and even covered the use of normal hazard flashers ie if you use them or amber beacons whilst on volunteer driving (for example for 4x4 Response) then you have no insurance cover.

Might I suggest that members be advised to check their letters authorising volunteer use to see if this restriction applies. Could I also suggest that 4x4 Response UK makes an approach to Admiral on behalf of all groups to try to get this restriction removed.

dave - Crowborough
04-09-2013, 10:45 AM
A bit of further information. Admiral is a member of ABI all members of which should accept volunteer driving. There is a restriction on blue light driving (understandably) but no mention of amber beacons or other warning lights. Looks like Admiral is not following the party line. Could this be taken up with them offficially by the national group please?

nigel leyland
04-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Thanks for highlighting this Dave, can you get the policy holder to contact me directly please Dave (use the Trustees email system and address it FAO.....)

dave - Crowborough
04-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Will do.

nigel leyland
04-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Thanks Dave, have just received and replied to the pm, I know have full details and will attend to it after I return from p/bro show (please post again if I don't put an update on here, I'm getting close to that age of senility....!!! ) Can't promise anything but it's worth a few emails to try eliminate spurious policie conditions. Especially when I've already been told by another insurer (AF) that they would be happy with the use of any "warning" light provided it is not "emergency" use!

WessexMario
05-09-2013, 07:03 AM
"No cover is allowed under the policy for [blue light use or] the use of any other emergency or warning lights."

Given that other clauses would specify that the vehicle and driver are complying with the law at all times, which would include the fitting and use of warning lights, I don't see the legal or insurance point of this condition, if anything, they're shooting themselves in the foot.

If a motorist breaks down, on dark country road at night, or motorway at any time, are they implying to the insured motorist that it's preferable for the driver, passengers, other motorists and the insurance company that the 4 way flashers are not used?
What's their reply to that?

dave - Crowborough
05-09-2013, 08:06 AM
You're quite right - it's a nonsense with regard to normal hazard lights but no-one wants to be in a position of having to argue with insurers should it come to a claim. Ideally we will get the provision removed both for four way flashers and amber beacons.

picard
05-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Hi,

I am looking for a group to join, I am in Cheshire but am struggling to contact NW 4x4, an e mail has just bounced back & the web site url just brought an error msg up ?

Regards Paul

Silly me just realised I posted this in the wrong area, Doh.

Grizzly
05-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Hi,

I am looking for a group to join, I am in Cheshire but am struggling to contact NW 4x4, an e mail has just bounced back & the web site url just brought an error msg up ?

Regards Paul

Silly me just realised I posted this in the wrong area, Doh.

Hi Paul. don't know why the website is playing silly buggers but if you try the link below it should take you to our forum.

http://www.nw4x4response.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php

;)

Ianmacd
14-09-2013, 08:45 PM
" No cover is allowed under the policy for Blue Light Use or the use of any other emergency or warning lights."

Interesting topic this one. I spoke to admirals customer services and got the off shore team who supplied me a letter stating they would insure me for blue lights even though that's not what I asked for.

A number of conversations later and the guy from cancellations explained that that sentence is very badly worded. He said its there to convey they will not cover the use of lights in helping to progress through traffic. When I explained it was for amber beacons he said they treat them the same way as hazard lights and are covered. He also sent me a letter stating I was covered for Amber's and volunteering.

Seems you just need to speak to the right people.

Simon Bentley
18-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Interesting topic this one. I spoke to admirals customer services and got the off shore team who supplied me a letter stating they would insure me for blue lights even though that's not what I asked for.

A number of conversations later and the guy from cancellations explained that that sentence is very badly worded. He said its there to convey they will not cover the use of lights in helping to progress through traffic. When I explained it was for amber beacons he said they treat them the same way as hazard lights and are covered. He also sent me a letter stating I was covered for Amber's and volunteering.

Seems you just need to speak to the right people.

if you refer to the ABI website - https://www.abi.org.uk/Insurance-and-savings/Products/Motor-insurance/Volunteer-drivers - Admiral automatically cover volunteer driving and there is no need to inform them.

The most recent list is here - https://www.abi.org.uk/~/media/Files/Documents/Publications/Public/Migrated/Motor/Volunteer%20driving%20-%20the%20motor%20insurance%20commitment.ashx