||16-05-2011 09:15 PM
Purpose of "4x4 Response"
After a meeting of the national trustees this evening we would like to explain the relationship between local groups and the national charity
In the opinion of the trustees; the purpose of "4x4 Response", the registered name of the national charity, is to support the local groups in various ways i.e.
1) To encourage and nurture groups to enable them to operate in their own areas as they see fit but under guidance if they wish it. As a group grows and matures that guidance may lessen.
2) To co-ordinate national discount and donations, which will then be channeled back to the local groups i.e. insurance, jackets and other equipment.
3) To enable 4x4 Response to speak with one voice when talking at a national level to government departments and other bodies involved in civil contingencies. At a local level any discussion should be on a group to group basis.
An example of this is; the controllers of Wessex 4x4 Response talk to Avon & Somerset LRF and National Government Offices in our area but when speaking to the Cabinet Office the trustees speak on behalf of 4x4 Response as a whole, enabling us to see the same benefits as other national organisations which have been in place for many years.
4) To provide a central place for group members and user bodies to meet and discuss issues exchange ideas and formulate a commonality of practice. In extreme circumstances the national trustees will arbitrate in disputes between member groups including division of territories.
5) To encourage the provision of mutual aid not only to neighbouring groups but also to groups further afield.
6) To encourage but not enforce common standards of training, equipment and agreements with other organisations
7) To provide coordination and enable 4x4 response gold command in the event of a large multi region or national incident.
8) It is the view of the trustees that an member group will have a declared aim similar to "TO PRESERVE AND PROTECT HUMAN LIFE AND PROPERTY, IN PARTICULAR BUT NOT EXCLUSIVELY, BY PROVIDING EQUIPMENT, VEHICLES AND OTHER RESOURCES TO OFFER SUPPORT IN ADVERSE CONDITIONS."
9) All member groups will have a constitution and a committee consiting of not less than three officers namely a Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer. These three officers should not be related by blood, marriage or civil partnership nor reside at the same address.
10) All member groups will have a 'group bank account' with a minimum of two unrelated signatories.
4x4 Response is an oversight organisation, we lay National Guidelines, for instance regarding logos, equipment and uniforms, that our members hopefully will adopt.
Rather than enforcing rules, we believe that as far as possible, our member response groups should have as much independence and autonomy as possible.
By enabling groups to maintain a degree of independence, they can better serve local needs and this will result in minimal input from the Trustees, who will at all times act in what they mutually consider the best interests of the national network.