Go Back   4x4 Response UK

4x4 Response UK

4x4 Response UK (https://www.4x4response.info/forums.php)
-   Got a question & general information (https://www.4x4response.info/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Insurance for my Landcruiser (https://www.4x4response.info/showthread.php?t=1852)

flabrosse 28-11-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFordwe66 (Post 18197)
I asked my current insurance company (RAC) where I should write to get them to countersign the 4x4 response insurance form

This is the first time I hear about needing to have insurance forms signed. Is that a new requirement of 4x4R, is that only for some responder groups (I'm in Wales), where can I find more about that? Maybe this was talked about at the training day that happened yesterday, which I missed because I spent the day driving around with a district nurse... (don't believe my profile, I am a responder).

NFU were happy for me to do response "work", not charging me anything, even giving me a bit of paper saying:

"In rural areas volunteers (in bold) may use their vehicle for emergency first response. The vehicles are not fitted with blue lights nor are they allowed to exceed statutory speed limits. Examples are carrying defibrillators, distress rockets for mountain rescues etc.

Many of the vehicles will be used in off road situations.

A check should be made that loads are secure, any hazardous materials are carried in appropriate containers to meet HSE guidelines and drivers hold licenses to carry dangerous materials.

The appropriate Class of Use must be provided bearing in mind the drivers main business and occupation. If the person is retired and has SDP Use, or has SDPC then details should be discussed with the Branch Office.

Agents may accept such cases without Branch referral. No additional premium is required."

I have SDPC and they were happy for me to do it. I did mention the reimbursement of expenses.

Fred RW103

Tony Ferrari 28-11-2010 06:01 PM

Fred

I think it is a local requirement in Wessex

BobWessex 28-11-2010 07:25 PM

NOPE we make no such requirement.

From our point of view when a member joins/renews (s)he confirms at that time that have appropriate insurance and have notified their insurer.

Tony Ferrari 28-11-2010 07:36 PM

In that case, not sure what Paul is referring to?

I'm sure he will explain but no need for anyone to worry about then ;)

Disco Sam 29-11-2010 09:56 AM

Insurance for my Landcruiser

Just had a call from Adrian flux and they have no problem with this :)

Adrian Flux Insurance 29-11-2010 10:51 AM

Morning

Adrian Flux Insurance does not apply any additional terms or premiums for voluntary work by 4x4 Response members.

The only time the risk may have to be treated differently is when the member receives excessive allowance, for example more than 40p per mile.

Regards
Dan.

WessexMario 29-11-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Ferrari (Post 19062)
In that case, not sure what Paul is referring to?
I'm sure he will explain but no need for anyone to worry about then ;)

We've had an offline discussion and found the offending document.
On our website we had a suggested proforma 'Letter to Insurers' in our documents library that requested an insurance company to confirm their cover for volunteer driving. It was originally used when the group was young and members didn't have the luxury of other's experience like this forum.

The letter had a 'tear off slip' for an insurer to sign to confirm the cover, but in retrospect, that might on occisions be counter-productive as it may unintentionally ring "little warning bells" to an insurer that the potential risk could be more than otherwise, so we've decided to remove it, and just advise members to check their policy documents and confirm 'volunteer driving' use, but without asking for a signature!

Tony Ferrari 29-11-2010 12:16 PM

Mario

Sounds very much like the one produced by "Volunteering England".

WessexMario 29-11-2010 12:29 PM

It may well have originated from there, this one was given to us by the WRVS,
The document is here (no longer linked from the website)

Tony Ferrari 29-11-2010 12:38 PM

Yes that's the one, WRVS are members of Volunteering England so that would explain it.

And as of today 4x4 Response are members too (well it was free as we have a relatively small turnover) I will be taking a look to see what benefits we might be able to gain (largely information and advice it seems).