Go Back   4x4 Response UK

4x4 Response UK

4x4 Response UK (https://www.4x4response.info/forums.php)
-   New Teams (https://www.4x4response.info/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Fife 4x4 Response (https://www.4x4response.info/showthread.php?t=2428)

Renny Thomson 01-03-2011 06:04 PM

Fife 4x4 Response

We are looking at establishing a group to cover Fife. It was originally the Tayside group's intention to cover this area but they decided it was too big a geographical area. There has been a lot of 4x4 support from the local RAYNET group to the LA but it was suggested that a 4x4 Response group would be a better option to operate under. We hope to get some assistance in establishing the group from Tayside and could have about 10 members up and ready quite quickly. The biggest issues will be the paperwork and time.

Navigator 01-03-2011 07:33 PM

As we at Strathclyde are just going through the start-up process ourselves we will give you any help we can. Good luck!

jamie.read 01-03-2011 07:39 PM

Nice one Renny, I have mentioned this to the national trustees already, they were all a massive help to us. And of course we will help where possible, we are after all, going to be neighbours! :)

kilty 01-03-2011 07:40 PM

Well done Renny-have fun ;)

BobWessex 01-03-2011 07:44 PM

Hi Renny,

Speaking as a national trustee we would be happy to see any "uncovered areas" develop a team. Can I suggest though that you might find it easier to be part of Tayside, simply because as each group has a number of roles to fill a larger group can find more 'volunteers' for each role, i.e. membership sec, chairman Treasurer etc. However it is clear that Tayside will be there to support you.

jamie.read 01-03-2011 07:51 PM

Well said Bob, I think I speak on behalf of everyone at Tayside when I say we`d be very happy to accept members from fife, but equally, we would support any group formed if you feel a seperate team is the way to go.

redrascal 01-03-2011 08:33 PM

Well said jamie. I agree. We are here to help either way. Good luck guys.

Renny Thomson 01-03-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobWessex (Post 26206)
Hi Renny,

Speaking as a national trustee we would be happy to see any "uncovered areas" develop a team. Can I suggest though that you might find it easier to be part of Tayside, simply because as each group has a number of roles to fill a larger group can find more 'volunteers' for each role, i.e. membership sec, chairman Treasurer etc. However it is clear that Tayside will be there to support you.

Thanks Bob for your advice. We have already spoken to Jamie about this and feel that operationally, there are advantages on working on a geographical area. Fife's boundaries are quite well defined, separating us from our neighbours in Tayside and Lothians. We have probably got a core of individuals who will be able and willing to take on the "management" roles, and hope to utilise the experience of the Fife RAYNET group members who have historically assisted the local authority with logistic support but are, to an extent, hampered by their national groups remit. However we might be worthwhile to set up as satellite of Tayside initially.
We also know from first hand experience that when calls for assistance during the recent bad weather, the existing Lothians group were unable to help in Fife due to the demands placed on them by services south of the Forth. I also am aware that there were offers of 4x4 assistance from volunteers living in Fife which the council and NHS Board were unable to utilise due to a lack of coordination.
In my work I have good links with the Council Emergency Planning Officer and was the main user of the 4x4 assistance from not only RAYNET, but also the Countryside Rangers and Coastguard.
I think a Fife Group is feasible and sustainable.

ColinR 01-03-2011 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renny Thomson (Post 26214)
Thanks Bob for your advice. We have already spoken to Jamie about this and feel that operationally, there are advantages on working on a geographical area. Fife's boundaries are quite well defined, separating us from our neighbours in Tayside and Lothians. We have probably got a core of individuals who will be able and willing to take on the "management" roles, and hope to utilise the experience of the Fife RAYNET group members who have historically assisted the local authority with logistic support but are, to an extent, hampered by their national groups remit. However we might be worthwhile to set up as satellite of Tayside initially.
We also know from first hand experience that when calls for assistance during the recent bad weather, the existing Lothians group were unable to help in Fife due to the demands placed on them by services south of the Forth. I also am aware that there were offers of 4x4 assistance from volunteers living in Fife which the council and NHS Board were unable to utilise due to a lack of coordination.
In my work I have good links with the Council Emergency Planning Officer and was the main user of the 4x4 assistance from not only RAYNET, but also the Countryside Rangers and Coastguard.
I think a Fife Group is feasible and sustainable.

Renny just to correct you Lothian 4x4 Response did help in Fife when asked, also on one occaison when no resources were available locally we sent two vehicles over to assist when an anbulance was stuck, they were stood down as they crossed the bridge. We also have a couple of members from Fife.

Renny Thomson 02-03-2011 07:35 AM

Apologies Colin, I hope that Lothians can assist us in establishing the Fife group and we'd appreciate help and hope the groups can work together.