Go Back   4x4 Response UK

4x4 Response UK

4x4 Response UK (https://www.4x4response.info/forums.php)
-   Forum issues and suggestions (https://www.4x4response.info/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Forum names - does anyone care about the format? (https://www.4x4response.info/showthread.php?t=2092)

Clive-Herts 19-12-2010 12:10 AM

Forum names - does anyone care about the format?

When I signed up, I followed the request here in terms of choosing a forum name: http://www.4x4response.info/showthread.php?t=2

I notice these days that hardly anyone seems to be following either suggested format. I thought the idea of a forum name that indicated your response group was a good one... are people not doing it because they don't agree or because they just aren't aware that (or their full name) is the requested format?

Simon Bentley 19-12-2010 01:54 AM

On one of the previous vesions of the forum it used to be more enforced but since moving to V-bulletin (the current software we are using) we have added the custom field "real name" and made the display of this more prominent than a users log in, this has made the rule rather superfluous but it has been left in place to discourage in appropriatte log ins.

Quote:

we would ask that you use your first and last names as a user name when registering, or FirstnameTeamname.
The FirstnameTeamname option was always intended to be the second option with real name in preference. There is no real reason to include your Group name in your login when it is one of the custom fields that you can choose in your profile anyway - you haven't done yours Clive.

BobWessex 19-12-2010 09:33 AM

We would ask though that a certain appearance of professionalism is maintained.

Ross HB 19-12-2010 10:26 AM

Re: Forum names - does anyone care about the format?

Tbh I was wondering if this rule had been ditched, as a tapatalk user I can't see real names on the posts so it still looks quite un professional.

Alan B Wessex 19-12-2010 11:53 AM

Hmm, ok, I missed that requirement/protocol as I went into forum registration autopilot. I've been known as NoDo$h / ND on every internet forum I've posted on since the late 1990s (the cunning use of $ means googling me is difficult :D) without any issues.

Anyone care to point me at the right place to change my name? I can't see it in the user control panel.

Tony Ferrari 19-12-2010 12:03 PM

Alan

Done it for you.

If anyone else would like theirs to be changed just ask, if I have another spare five minutes between phone calls that is!

Clive-Herts 19-12-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Bentley (Post 22057)
The FirstnameTeamname option was always intended to be the second option with real name in preference. There is no real reason to include your Group name in your login when it is one of the custom fields that you can choose in your profile anyway - you haven't done yours Clive.

Maybe worth clarifying the instructions then Simon. Give folks a choice and some of them are bound to choose the option. Or do neither of couse. Given my forum name included my group name, I didn't see the need to add the group name to the optional info..... ;-)

nigel leyland 19-12-2010 08:50 PM

I much prefer that forum user on here use their own name as I also do on our own forum, this makes things much easier as everything tallies up nicely with the members info I recieve from the MemSec which means I can easily identify who is who without resorting to a plethera of pm and cross references to identify some obscure title as a bonafide member.

Nigel.

Simon Bentley 19-12-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clive-Herts (Post 22182)
Given my forum name included my group name, I didn't see the need to add the group name to the optional info..... ;-)

Which means you won't show up in any searches by group so you might miss out on info sent to group members etc.

Personally I don't really think the user name format matters now, except perhaps for the mobile users if real name doesn't display so perhaps we ought to re-inforce it - thoughts people?

WarrenWE02 19-12-2010 09:29 PM

The only concern I would have is that of presenting a professional image to non-members (including, and some would say especially, the press). I think most, if not all 4x4R members would consider themselves to be such.
Certainly we are being taken seriously by the Police, NHS, Ambulance Services and other LRF members so we we should, in turn, return that compliment by presenting ourselves professionally as they do.