View Single Post
Old 22-02-2014
Responder
Forum Handle: LyonJE
MROC 4x4 Response

Thumbs up Re: Multiple Group Membership

Hi Toby,

Very similar position here

I think the thing about joining only a single group is entirely about the practicality -- so controllers know what's what, avoids complications if multiple calls arrive very close together etc...

I believe that nationally there is some inclination towards interoperability between groups, but each group is different so it's not always trivial for someone trained and set up to work one way, to suddenly leap in with another team -- and that's half the point, that working as a team that develops together is a strength in its own right.

However, any severe or major incident would of course open the possibility of controllers seeking support from other groups -- and we saw it recently when a national call went out for some additional standby cover during the floods -- and indeed when that happened, it was emphasised that no direct offers were sought; that everything should channel via the relevant controllers etc...

So, practical upshot?

Some people agree with two groups that they can belong to both, where it works and suits, but for the most part everyone fixes on just one group in the knowledge that controllers and national coordination efforts can make things happen if severity requires it.

In any case, I always assume/hope that if any neighbouring group had a major incident and wanted extra support then they would surely not hesitate in contacting the controller of the group(s) closest to the location of the incident, so that some coordinated collaborative working was possible. Everyone seems motivated by doing a good professional job of helping when and where required -- I've not heard anyone refusing to cross a border on principle :-)

Je.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Sponsors

» Donate to 4x4 Response
» Online Users: 342
0 members and 342 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,862, 1 Week Ago at 11:22 PM.