Go Back   4x4 Response UK

View Single Post
Old 14-01-2010
Website User
Forum Handle: John Hudson

Default Re: Membership fees?

[quote name="nigel leyland"]Do membership fees put off prospective members?

Well it seems they do...!

Given that responders have to be members, (insurance) and that the small fee that groups charge is used to run the club (which may be a charity) and in some instances is possibly subsidised......

the following may need to be addressed....

A. Do we want need members who feel that they should not "have to pay for the preiveledge of helping"?

B. Need to adjust fees (if possible)?

C. Need to state up front why the fees need to be charged and what the group provides to the member?

You're thoughts please.......

Nigel.[/quote]

As a prospective new member... I've got to say - Yes they do.

Particularly when it’s not clear why they are being charged in the first place. Yes my feeling is why do I "have to pay for the privilege of helping"?

I hadn’t heard of your group before this current weather "drama" and when I did hear about you guys it was from another forum and the view there also seemed to be it was a bit of a joke being expected to pay for the privilege of volunteering.

My local group would appear to be Wessex, whom I tried to contact before the weekend; the response I got from calling your published number was "Hello, what do you want?" I had to ask the guy on the other end of the phone to confirm that I had in fact reached the right number at which point I was informed he was a bit busy and could I phone back?

I appreciate that he might have been busy, but as I was calling to volunteer my services (FOC) the second impression wasn’t a good one.

If you are curious about whom I am… I’m a biker with over 20 year’s experience. When I started, bikers stopped for each other and help out where they could (without thought of reward or herodom). This is something that has stuck with me even as a car driver, I’m more than happy to stop and help anyone out in any conditions.

A couple of years ago, while I was still living in their catchment area, I join SERV a bike group who assist the National Blood Service providing out of hours transport services 365 days a year. This group actually now run two dedicated bikes, they are always looking for volunteers and they are regularly called upon to provide their service. All they ask of their members in return is a one off £15 deposit to cover the cost kit that’s issues to each member.

Looking at the list of responders to this thread so far, you are all already members so obviously you’re all happy to keep paying a fee. Looking at the some of the responses, does it really matter if someone is a wannabe? You lot where all wannabes at one point and then at the point you actually got out and help someone, you became a hero in their eyes. Does it matter if your membership numbers don’t reflect the actual active member base? In any group you’ll only ever find a small core (cliché) that are always there, that’s life.

The third impression I got of your group was from the BBC report, where your driver was assisting in an MOT failing vehicle and when the reporter suggested 4x4 drivers must feel very smug about being able to get around in those conditions he agreed.

It’s only £20. Has it put me off joining? Yes. Has it put me off helping people? No. All I have done is to contact the local county council, police and ambulance services and offer my services directly.

I’ve got a reliable 4x4, class 1 business insurance, training and experience driving on and off road in a number of countries and a can do attitude? What more do I need?

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Sponsors

» Donate to 4x4 Response
» Online Users: 424
0 members and 424 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,862, 18-03-2024 at 11:22 PM.