View Single Post
Old 21-01-2013
Responder
Forum Handle: Ash Smith
Wessex 4x4 Response

National Callsign: WE 75
Amateur Radio Callsign: M6 EPO

Hi Peter

I've got an XC70 too, until now just about the only one on the forum.

You'll find the XC to be highly capable in on road, adverse conditions. The standard Pirelli's are ok but I'll be changing to Uniroyal MS+66 tyres next time. These are Mud and Snow rated but also winter rated which the STR's are not.

To make the XC more effective I've added some kit. My cell phone and sat nav are mounted on non damage Brodit mounts from DSL Developments, much better than windscreen mounted rubbish.

I've fitted Volvo rubber mats all round along with other vehicle protection items such as a load liner and mud flaps.

You'll need a good map book for your area of operation, the Phillips series (available everywhere) are good plus some OS maps. Your group will be able to advise on their recommendations.

Comms wise, I find a handheld CB with an external aerial works well, that way there's no drilling of the dashboard. I use a Midland 42 CB with a short InteK 1345 magnetic aerial, both available from Thunderpole communications. I also carry VHF/UHF radios but thats another issue.

The recommended kit list is on the site somewhere but the basics of First Aid Kit (ideally to British Standard) and a good fire extinguisher head the list.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like any advice on the XC

Kind regards

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Sponsors

» Donate to 4x4 Response
» Online Users: 424
0 members and 424 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,862, 1 Week Ago at 11:22 PM.