Go Back   4x4 Response UK > National Forums > Come on in > Got a question & general information

Old 22-01-2010
Former
Forum Handle: Simon Bentley

Amateur Radio Callsign: 2E0HYR

[quote name='TimChilde' date='22 January 2010 - 01:17 PM' timestamp='1264166247' post='10976']

Interestingly, and slightly connected, there is an article in this months Radcom magazine about how Raynet were unable to help during the adverse whether due to a lack of national coordination / control / stats etc. Â*And how the user bodies expected a national framework rather than shrapnel groups here there and, in some cases, not there!

Tim[/quote]

This may well end up being a thread in its own right.

I think we have an advantage over Raynet in this because we have groups who's boundaries are pretty well aligned with statutory authorities, such as police authorities, Ambulance services, county councils etc. In the area covered by YL there are 10 or 20 local Raynets - though it has to be said their systems worked pretty well in response to the Cockermouth situation within hours they had plans ad staff in place for 24/7 manning of a number of stations in order to maintain comms if the critcial bridge (insert name lol) were to collapse and take the phone lines with it.
Old 22-01-2010
Website User
Forum Handle: WarrenWE02

Amateur Radio Callsign: M3ZSR

[quote name='TimChilde' date='22 January 2010 - 01:17 PM' timestamp='1264166247' post='10976']

Interestingly, and slightly connected, there is an article in this months Radcom magazine about how Raynet were unable to help during the adverse whether due to a lack of national coordination / control / stats etc. Â*And how the user bodies expected a national framework rather than shrapnel groups here there and, in some cases, not there!

Sounded a little familiar to me.

[/quote]

A little too familiar perhaps...

I see one of the trustees has already voted with his feet - a great shame.
Old 22-01-2010
Tribal elder
Forum Handle: nigel leyland
Yorkshire 4x4 Response

National Callsign: YR314
Amateur Radio Callsign: none

Tim,

It's not a matter of what people may think or persieve.....All, including the newer teams are autonomous, always have been and for sound reasons which we can go into on a dedicated thread if needs be. The National Network was set up to service the needs of the teams which are best served by one body again best dealt with elsewhere.....

How any group works has nothing to do with which logo it displays...it has to do with...well how it works!

I believe that the beginning of this year has quite clearly demonstrated that ALL the regional teams and the National Network have got it sorted correctly...unless anyone knows of an instance when the system didn't work, because I do not.

If Raynet had problems providing, I doubt changing their Logo will rectify the situation!!!

Nigel.
Old 22-01-2010
Website User
Forum Handle: phil_shinyheed

when i was in the army i was proud of my cap badge, other regiments had their own but my regiments badge had history and tradition that made it special, i assume other regiments felt the same about theirs

this identity was part of what made everyone work as team, traditions and history, where the regiment came from gave new members into it a sense of pride and belonging

i'm proud to be a member of 4x4 response north east, proud of what we have achieved in the past, proud of the work we have done over a number of years to help charities, doctors, and the emergency services, proud of what we have become

we did this, not national 4x4 response, but us in the north east, other teams have done the same in other areas and will be proud of what they have done too

its good that as a national group we can exchange ideas and assist other groups, but its regional teams that do the work, attend the calls, put the hours and the miles in,

new members see what we have done and want to be a part of this, they see how it helps the local community, we need to keep group identities, we need people to want to help and be apart of their local team,

one identity, one logo, one brand will destroy the history of every individual regional team

i fail to see how this can ever benefit anyone,

i believe its up to every team to choose its own logo, and entirely up to them what they choose it to be , if they choose a national looking one thats their choice, if they already have one then they may feel the same as i do

if 4x4 response north east loses its logo, loses its identity, if it forgets the past, if it forgets the hard work that was and still is being done to move the club forward then i for one will disappear from the club at the same time as the logo does

fortunately i feel confident we will never be pressured into making such a mistake, and i'm sure i'm not the only member of any team to feel like this
Old 22-01-2010
Paul Johns
Forum Handle: Paul Johns

You've hit the nail on the Head, no-one is gonna make you change your Logo.
Old 22-01-2010
Website User
Forum Handle: John Potts

Very well said Phil

“Political correctness is simply a speed bump in the traffic of truth, free thought and speech.”
Old 22-01-2010
Website User
Forum Handle: Foxy1961

Well I certainly opened up a can of words with that one!......Thanks guys all your comments will be taken on board
Old 22-01-2010
Website User
Forum Handle: Tony Ferrari

Mel

As mentioned the only "national" sticker in general use is this one, usually mounted in top nearside of windscreen and somewhere on the rear screen (Discoverys for instance have that handy "dip" in the bottom edge of the screen where they fit perfectly)

Im in the process of sourcing a new supply for these as we are currently out of stock.

Honorary Life Member of 4x4 Response UK
Founder and member of Hertfordshire 4x4 Response

Vehicles: VW Transporter 4x2 "Command and Control vehicle" Various 2x1 response vehicles (KTM 1090 Adventure R / KTM 450 EXC Rally / KTM 250F Freeride)
Old 23-01-2010
Website User
Forum Handle: Mike G7HEN

Amateur Radio Callsign: G7HEN

[quote name='TimChilde' date='22 January 2010 - 02:17 PM' timestamp='1264166247' post='10976']

Sounded a little familiar to me.

[/quote]

In Yorkshire the EPO at Gold control ask RAYNET to provided 4x4 for then. They did not want us or need us to provide any communications. I past the number to Simon at LY4x4R group because they do transport and we do communication and not all our 4x4 have business insurance as this is not needed for RAYNET use.

Groups on Bad Wx service.

Numerous RAYNET groups throughout the country have been active during the recent spell of bad weather.

On Saturday, January 9th, Eastbourne and Wealdon Group were called out by the Eastbourne and Hastings Hospital Trust's Emergency Planning Officer to provide a radio operator at the local District Hospital, with a similar request to the Hastings and Rother group for the Conquest Hospital. 17 members responded to the call.

During the period between 13:10 hours and 23:12 hours over 260 messages were passed, in excess of 75 people transported with the assistance of RAYNET, including a patient with broken ankle transported home to an exposed location on the coast which meant a detour of some miles get there and back. A patient’s wife was transported to Hurstwood Park Hospital some 40 miles away to be re-united with her husband who had been transferred earlier in the day, with radio communications being maintained for most of the journey.

Operations commenced again at 0600hrs on Sunday 10th January and over the next 17 hours, over 300 messages were passed in support of operations and a further 80 staff members were transported to and from the hospital. The group was assisted in its task by other organisations with 4x4 vehicles.

Don’t believe ever thing you read in Radcom
Old 23-01-2010
Tribal Elder
Forum Handle: BobWessex
4x4 Response UK

National Callsign: WE001
Amateur Radio Callsign: 2E0WRA

I think, that there will be a few false or inaccurate stories floating around after this winter; some good and some bad.

For instance I know of one report that a team near me wouldn't turn out - they had no-one left to deploy. I was also thanked for the work one of our members did near Minehead. The only snag is we didn't deploy to that area.

The main thing is that in the majority of areas all voluntary agencies pulled together to ensure that the important services were maintained.

Any comments entered above; unless stated otherwise; are purely personal.

Life Member and officially resident in kenya since 2016

http://bluebungalowmua.simplesite.com