Go Back   4x4 Response UK > National Forums > Come on in > Introductions

Old 08-03-2010
Website User
Forum Handle: JoeDunn

Smile Hello all from Margate, Kent

Hello all, I just thought I would say hi and that I am really looking forward to joining up as a full member be it as a junior or a responder for the SEE4X4R I do have quite a few questions but I will search through the forum and main site to find as many answers as I can.

I currently own an ex-military 1972 series 2a LWB landrover which is currently undergoing quite a bit of work to get her back up to standard. after becoming a full member I do have a few ideas to raise awareness for the amount of hard work that you guys and gals do and perhaps even a few fundraising ideas which I'll go into more detail about at a later date.

I was also wondering what a minimum basic kit would consist of and what experience is also required to start with as I would like to become a responder in my local area.

My interest in your work grew from a single post on a series club forum where I got some great replies from existing members and some which will hopefully join the 4X4response team I'm not entirely sure on the rules when it comes to posting external links so i'll post a link later if it's permitted some here may already know of the post in question.

Can't wait to get to know you all better and thank you for all the hard work that you do.

Joe
Old 09-03-2010
Website User
Forum Handle: Teresa Herefordshire

Hi Joe

Welcome and hope you like it here.

Someone else recently asked about basic kit. Depends if you want the sensible answer or not ... http://www.4x4response.info/showthread.php?t=1292

There's only one BIG rule on here - steer clear of asking questions about amber beacons and b**e lights! You'll understand when you've had a read around.

Seriously, just ask and someone will usually answer! It will help if you can go along to some meetings but don't go spending on kit as a vehicle, enthusiasm and common sense are good for starters. Although not all of us have ALL of those ...
Old 09-03-2010
Website User

Default RE: Hello all from Margate,Kent

Hiya teresa and thank you for the welcome.

Unfortunately for some reason when I clicked on the link it would not display for me (some permission error) but never mind.

I'll not be asking those questions and have no intrest in a colour of illumination as long as my current lighting system works I am happy nd have no desire to add anything to it (unless compulsory).

I have a lot of what I would call "basic equipment" that I have collected over then past 8 years or so ranging from 2 tonne to 5 tonne jacks, ropes, chains, shovels, an extremely large first aid kit (old habits die hard i'm afraid) and many other objects which I will probably never use. My current vehicle Is almost structually and mechanically sound I just have a few small jobs left to do. I am very very enthusiastic about this and have been thinking of as many ways possible to help as I can, And I know I may get into trouble for this but I feel it may be relevent so I'm going to post the link HERE. you'll see within this post lots of different points of view but you will also see some suggestions made by myself (jaycraft21) that some members have agreed with but obviously I didn't want to start doing anything until I have officially joined as a paying member and recieved permission/ approval for doing so especially as i don't know what the current arrangements on these subjects are.

As for common sense I think I'm pretty sensable but I will let the folk here see for themselves and make their own judgements. Unfortunately when it comes to spending loads I don't have loads to spend.

Last edited by JoeDunn; 09-03-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-03-2010
Group Membership Admin
Forum Handle: robin-baldwin
Breckland Rover Rescue

National Callsign: BR28
Amateur Radio Callsign: M3RQQ

Welcome Joe,

All you need at the moment is enthusiasm, a suitable vehicle, a mobile 'phone and some basic recovery gear. Anything else can be added as you find out more about how your local group operates.
www.brecklandlrc.com
Disco 2 TD5, 101FC Ambulance, LR 109 Series 3

Any thoughts or ideas expressed are my own and even I can't be held responsible for them anymore.
Old 09-03-2010
Tribal Elder
Forum Handle: BobWessex
4x4 Response UK

National Callsign: WE001
Amateur Radio Callsign: 2E0WRA

Although folks like to have a lot of kit, the reality is that what you need will change for every shout, a pen/pencil, notebook torch, basic tools i.e. jack etc will be enough for starters.

If your controller wants you to take/have something on a shout I'm sure that he (or she) will let you know. The main point is that you shouldn't over equip.
Old 09-03-2010
Website User
Forum Handle: stephendrabble

Bit daft having a 7 seater car full of kit with no room for any passengers or any of there kit..

after all there be no point turniong out
Old 09-03-2010
Website User
Forum Handle: Teresa Herefordshire

True. District nurses tend to bring a lot with them! Sometimes, other nurses or their bosses but always lots of supplies.

And you need room for your flask and butties!
Old 09-03-2010
Website User

Thank you for the pointer in the right direction folks.

Although at the moment I've had to remove the rear seats so I can strip paint and carpet the back but hopefully this will be done soon along with the outer body also have a few mechnical things left to do now finished all the structural (welded new chassis members and outriggers on), engine, gearbox, tranfser box and axles have all been given a complete overhual. main job is a to sort the braking system out and then she'll be ready to hit the road.

one question in regards to the rear seats when i refit them would it be advisable to install rear seat belts ?

and definitly need somewhere nice and safe to store me flask and butties
Old 09-03-2010
Tribal Elder
Forum Handle: BobWessex
4x4 Response UK

National Callsign: WE001
Amateur Radio Callsign: 2E0WRA

Hi Joe,

If you mean the seats in the boot space, they will need seat belts. but personally I would leave them out it only gives a liittle extra space but even ao that can be useful. After all how often do the get used?
Old 09-03-2010
Website User
Forum Handle: Rob Purbrick

Joe,

I notice you have registered on the south east 4x4 response forum

I have activated your account, have a read of our local forum and if you like what you see come along to the next meeting. details on the forum.

Hope to meet up soon

Last edited by Rob Purbrick; 09-03-2010 at 10:05 PM.