Go Back   4x4 Response UK > National Forums > Come on in > Introductions

Old 14-09-2009
Responder
Forum Handle: Darmain
Wessex 4x4 Response

National Callsign: WE126
Default Greetings from Darmain

Hi Guys,

I'm Darmain, my real name is Dave Sawyer and I live in Chippenham, Wilts.

I drive a LandRover Freelander XeDi with an L-series Diesel lump. I bought it about 2 years ago with the primary role of pulling our caravan. Since then I have to ask myself the question as to why I didn't get a Landy sooner. It is simple the most fun car I have ever driven (Okay, that was a sad admission I know and I may well regret those words :lol:, but it is the truth of it). The car is basically factory spec and is running Mich Synchrone 4x4 tyres all round. Obviously it is able to tow a trailer. I have towed our old 18ft van I would guess about 5000 miles over the last few years, and have now upgraded to a 22ft model.

I have done a little, 'light' greenlaning but have not got involved in any serious sticky off roading. The car has to get me to work every day so I can't break it.

My family and I attended the Hullavington Emergency Services Show last weekend and we came across the W4x4R and G4x4R stands. Now to be honest I didn't know these teams existed. After learning what it was all about from Pete on the W4x4R stand, I thought what a brilliant idea it was. Pete was also happy as I bought a Polo shirt off the stand.

I am now seriously considering joining a group. Obviously the Wessex team would be the logical choice. The thing is I have several questions that I need answers to first. Firstly, if called out is the fuel costs covered? I can't see that written anywhere, one way or the other. It is an obvious consideration. My second question is, is a little Hippo of use to the group?

Many thanks for 'listening'.

Dave
Old 14-09-2009
Website User
Forum Handle: Teresa Herefordshire

Default Re: Greetings from Darmain

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum!

Re suitability of your vehicle, speak to Graham Powys and have a look at the pics in the first post of this link below ...

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=911

He seems to manage quite well in his ....

If you drive it right you shouldn't be getting it broken! My Disco is my everyday car so whatever I do to it on a weekend it has to get me to work on a Monday. Even when it's had 3 inches of muddy water in it. :oops: The only damage it's had (apart from scratches) was done on the way to work, not off road!

Not sure about all groups but I think our group get around 30p per mile fuel for call outs and I think that is paid by the council if we are called out by them.
Old 14-09-2009
Website User

[quote name="Darmain"] Since then I have to ask myself the question as to why I didn't get a Landy sooner. It is simple the most fun car I have ever driven (Okay, that was a sad admission I know and I may well regret those words :lol:, but it is the truth of it). [/quote]

Just to add, I'm afraid you're going through a mid life crisis. Counselling is available but it can't help and most of us will tell you that once you've driven a 4x4 you've gone over to the dark side and there's no hope. Sorry. But the upside is that you will ALWAYS feel superior in car parks! And they make you smile when you have to face the drive to work. 8-)
Old 15-09-2009
Website User
Forum Handle: stephendrabble

Hi Dave, welcome.

stop thinking and JOIN... I could do with some local help as im only in Devizes.

you need to PM Pete Chambers hes our LOCAL guy in wessex.

Steve
Old 15-09-2009
Tribal Elder
Forum Handle: BobWessex
4x4 Response UK

National Callsign: WE001
Amateur Radio Callsign: 2E0WRA

Hi Dave,

I remember coming along while you were chatting to Pete

Fuel and other reasonably incurred expenses are reclaimable via the treasurer. The normal rate is 40p per mile but it is built into our agreements with user bodies that we may claim more in adverse conditions -- i.e. spending all day trying to get 10 miles across hills or through snow.

Things like H/V clothing, vehicle ID etc. we will issue to you so there won't be a cost there.

As I mentioned in my E-mail the other night you need to notify your insurance company, one or two nationally have had an issue but MOST have no problems.

Look forward to seeing you as a member.

Any comments entered above; unless stated otherwise; are purely personal.

Life Member and officially resident in kenya since 2016

http://bluebungalowmua.simplesite.com
Old 15-09-2009
Responder
Wessex 4x4 Response

[quote name="Teresa Herefordshire"]
[quote name="Darmain"] Since then I have to ask myself the question as to why I didn't get a Landy sooner. It is simple the most fun car I have ever driven (Okay, that was a sad admission I know and I may well regret those words :lol:, but it is the truth of it). [/quote]

Just to add, I'm afraid you're going through a mid life crisis. Counselling is available but it can't help and most of us will tell you that once you've driven a 4x4 you've gone over to the dark side and there's no hope. Sorry. But the upside is that you will ALWAYS feel superior in car parks! And they make you smile when you have to face the drive to work. 8-)[/quote]

Thanks for that Teresa. Now, as I've just hit the big 40 this news is not good. :lol:

The FL1 is good in that it is not much bigger than our family car, a Citroen Xsara Picasso. Therefore it doesn't stand as as much as a Disco. Well, unless I get silly and put a lift kit on it....
Old 15-09-2009
Responder
Wessex 4x4 Response

[quote name="stephendrabble"]Hi Dave, welcome.

stop thinking and JOIN... I could do with some local help as im only in Devizes.

you need to PM Pete Chambers hes our LOCAL guy in wessex.

Steve[/quote]

Hi Steve,

Yes, I spoke to Pete at the EES at Hullavington and I have his number also.

I am warming up to the idea of joining but just making sure I know what I'm getting into first. Then I have the grounds to make a good choice. Having said that, I'm sure help will be coming your way, based on what I've learnt so far.

Many thanks,

Dave
Old 15-09-2009
Responder
Wessex 4x4 Response

[quote name="BobWessex"]Hi Dave,

I remember coming along while you were chatting to Pete

Fuel and other reasonably incurred expenses are reclaimable via the treasurer. The normal rate is 40p per mile but it is built into our agreements with user bodies that we may claim more in adverse conditions -- i.e. spending all day trying to get 10 miles across hills or through snow.

Things like H/V clothing, vehicle ID etc. we will issue to you so there won't be a cost there.

As I mentioned in my E-mail the other night you need to notify your insurance company, one or two nationally have had an issue but MOST have no problems.

Look forward to seeing you as a member.[/quote]

Thanks Bob,

Now I have a face to the name.

The fuel thing was a concern. As we all known fuel ain't cheap and its only gonna cost more. It costs me £55 to fill the Hippo at the moment. I do get between 400 and 450 miles out of that though, which I'm pleased with. As long as there is assistance with this cost then I'm happy. All I've got to sort now is the insurance and get my hands on a CB rig. I had a 'portable' Midland rig a long while ago and a mag mount aerial. It ended up in the attic as I had no real practical use for it. A little while ago I tried it out and discovered the rig was dead so I turfed it out. Now I have a horrible feeling the aerial went too. I think the SWR meter was saved though. Will have to have a look.
Old 15-09-2009
Website User
Forum Handle: stephendrabble

try 4x4cb.co.uk i think we can get a discount there is you tell him.

or look on ebay, theres a localish guy in Trowbridge.
Old 15-09-2009
Website User

[quote name="Darmain"]
[quote name="stephendrabble"]

I am warming up to the idea of joining but just making sure I know what I'm getting into first. [/quote][/quote]

Just join your nearest group! You're not committing yourself to anything. You don't HAVE to go on any call outs - if you get them. You can go along to group meetings, find out more, get advice on what CB to get, find out more about getting some practice off road driving, make contact with other 4x4 owners, etc.

Your only initial outlay is the membership fee and you can take it from there. All depends what your local group gets up to but meet up with some of them and have a chat.

It's really up to you how much or little you get involved and if you weren't keen on taking your car off road (yet! ) you could help out in other ways at shows etc.

Go on, what have you got to lose!