Go Back   4x4 Response UK > National Forums > Come on in > Got a question & general information

Old 13-01-2010
Website User
Forum Handle: David Mallalieu

Default V8 Discovery Buying Advice

Hi All,

So, you get the introductions thread, and it is immediately followed by questions!

I have been searching for a while now for a nice V8 disco with decent off road modifications. The car will serve as a touring vehicle for the family, a towing vehicle for my track cars, and as a 4x4 response vehicle once I am of a sufficient standard to be of use.

Now, I have trawled the net for advice, and have a good long list, most of which the buyer has already answered very comprehensively. I understand the inherent rust issues, and the porous nature of the engine block (3.9EFi). The truck is converted to LPG already, so that is good news.

Really looking for some additional points / assistance from anyone with the knowledge and time to share. As I said, looking at the truck on Friday evening, so if you could get back to me in the meantime I would be very appreciative.

Looking forward to pestering you with some more questions in the very near future no doubt,

David (aka FUBES)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 13-01-2010
Responder
Forum Handle: TimChilde
West Midlands 4x4 Response

National Callsign: WM01
Amateur Radio Callsign: Yes
Default Re: V8 Discovery Buying Advice

Sorry 'bout this but someone has to say it

The best off road mod for a V8 Disco is to swap it for a Diesel one :mrgreen:
| Former Trustee/Chairman

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 13-01-2010
Group Management
Forum Handle: Russ laye
Wessex 4x4 Response

National Callsign: WE15

[quote name="TimChilde"]Sorry 'bout this but someone has to say it

The best off road mod for a V8 Disco is to swap it for a Diesel one :mrgreen:[/quote]

Or a Jeep :lol: :lol:
Just to be clear, there are over 7 billion people on this planet, a large proportion of them do not have access to running water let alone unlimited broadband. So just ask yourself, "How lucky am I" Now stop worrying about the little things and enjoy your short time on this planet.

Just Remember The Golf Balls

Wessex Responder
Old 13-01-2010
Responder
Forum Handle: Phil Griffith
Norfolk & Suffolk 4x4 Response

National Callsign: NS21
Amateur Radio Callsign: M6 PSG

David,

Great vehicle if you can live with the 17mpg, great noise

Engine & gearbox (auto a must) rock solid, think the problems started with the P38. Oil has to be changed regular though. Both good for 160k plus.

Electronics a nightmare, although not too many ecu's. Remove the spider from the alarm, behind radio. Waterproof the leads and dizzy, else be prepared to be sat motionless in lots of puddles.

Watch rust in rear body mounts behind rear bumper, front of rear wings, take carpet up in boot and check all boot floor, and the middle of the front wings, on the edge of the rubber splash guards.

Can be a pig to tune, usually shows if lumpy from cold. Missfires can be a nightmare.

Go for an ES. Front seats uncomfortable, but RR ones can be fitted. Sunroofs can leak, check carpets are dry.

Go for a good body with FSH under 100k for under £2k - you will have to search. Find an owner who knows about them. Off-road mods great if you can get them, but a road only vehicle will be in better condition.

Diesel sensible choice, but the V8 is so much fun. Immensly capable off-road, massive reserves of power. Buy & enjoy.

Just watch the gas conversions, will dry the valves, need added lubrication.
Old 14-01-2010
Website User
Forum Handle: PeteRestall

Posted this a few hours ago but it seems to have disappeared.

Could we have more info.

Mileage?

Type of LPG system?

These all make a big difference, I've been through a few of these, loved them all, had problems, but none caused by the LPG.

Still trying to sort the one on the drive.

Electronic nightmares are normally down to ignition, always fitted Mallory Distributors and Magnecor leads to mine and never had a hiccup even with water over the bonnet.

Running on LPG needs the ignition timing looked at, because of the octane rating of LPG the ignition timing needs to be set differently if using LPG as main fuel see Ignition, this is why some burn out valves, not down to lack of lubrication, early 3.5 V8 valve seats weren't up to spec for LPG but all later rover V8's are.

With the correct settings and a good LPG system I personally think they run better, the problem most of them are poor installations and not set up properly.

Just waiting for a reply from Avo now, and probably a lot of contradiction from else where !! :lol:

www.bhc4x4response.org
Old 14-01-2010
Website User
Forum Handle: David Mallalieu

Many thanks for the responses guys.

The car is far from standard, but has not been seriously off road (allegedly) .

It has a 2" lift with Procomp Shocks and Springs. Geometry has been adjusted to suit.Camber arms swapped for appropriate length ones.

The car has full history (125K miles), with a lot of money recently spent on the expedition conversion (it was a standard road vehicle until summer 2008 where it received the upgrades ahead of a road trip around the Nordics). These include:

LPG converted with twin under-sill tanks (2 x 30ltr)

Hannibal Roof Tent c/w extended flysheet

Hannibal Awning

Alloy Roof Rack/Ladder & Brush-guards

Super-winch & Cheviot 4x4 bumper

2” lift & up-rated suspension

Onboard Air

Onboard Water Tank

6 x lightforce spots + rear work lights

Twin batteries/Solar Panel/Trickle Charger

245/70/16 BFG All terrains

ARB Wheelarch Extensions

CB Radio

Diff protectors, sump guard, LPG tank guards

Interior Racking/Cargo nets/Storage/Tie Downs

Safari Snorkel

Through body S/S Exhaust

3 x Jerry-can holder + cans (2 steel, 1 plastic)

In addition to this there is an engine powered on-board air compressor, 60L water tank, split charge battery system with solar panel conditioner, recent brake overhaul and transmission fluid flush, etc etc etc. The seller has had the car for 9years, but as he is no longer travelling with the family has decided to let the truck go. Tyres are virtually brand new, and it seems to have all the right bits and pieces.

Easy way of doing it, here is the link to the advert:

Land Rover Discovery '97

Now don't no body go stealing it from me lol.

Having spoken to the guy he is open to negotiation, so needless to say there will be some haggling involved.

Comments on a postcard please.........

and yeah, I can live with 17Mpg, but this will be a weekend toy for pleasure and functional use, I have a dreaded Volvo company Derv for daily........

D.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 14-01-2010
Website User
Forum Handle: dod51e

17mpg...you'll be lucky!! My RRC is LPG converted and has been a nightmare! They are fickle things. An A&R Ignition Amp will help with the timing. It will allow upto +13 degrees of advance by retarding the spark on petrol over about 1200rpm. Getting it balanced canbe serious fun(note sarcasm) even with the laptop linked up. The LPG was fine until th engine was swapped. And still didn't like the third engine. Still....getting there slowly but what fun!! Good luck.
Old 14-01-2010
Website User
Forum Handle: mark avo

I have a 92 3.9 RR 210k miles so bout the same spec as the disco engine wise.

Your biggest enemies will be rust & head gaskets (or maybe block issues)

Rust is easy to see. To check the head gaskets, borrow (or buy) a sniffer. Basically a tube that fits on top of the header tank containing a checmical. You put it on, run the engine for 10 mins, the gasses in the coolant bubble the the chemical & change colour if its buggered.

Your LPG tanks sound a little small, range will be limited.

As for all the ignition stuff, mine has none of the advance altering stuff & runs very well on petrol & gas (crap old single point system)

Gas is very hit & miss, if the system is right then it's great, if it's wrong then it will be a pain. Plugs make a big difference
Old 14-01-2010
Group Management
Forum Handle: WessexMario
Wessex 4x4 Response

National Callsign: WE100
Amateur Radio Callsign: M0WMC

[quote name="TimChilde"]Sorry 'bout this but someone has to say it

The best off road mod for a V8 Disco is to swap it for a Diesel one :mrgreen:[/quote]

I'd have to strongly agree. Not only does a diesel have oodles more low rev grunt, if you do some serious damage you don't have the additional worry of fire, and no ignition circuits is one less reason for the chance of the engine stopping when wading.

And in an emergency you can run it on chip fat or olive oil. :lol:

(until the price went above that of diesel, I used rapeseed oil in my Paj - it smelt lovely in a convoy, I'd be asked where the chippie was )
Old 14-01-2010
Website User
Forum Handle: mark avo

Oh good , a devils fuel V Gods own finest petrol thread -

Sorry, but they day you can get an Oil burner to Go as well as my V8 & make such pretty noises then I may be converted, untill then you can all go & make black smoke over in a corner. I may just be tempted by a TDV8, but a 4 pot oil burner - never.