Go Back   4x4 Response UK > National Forums > Come on in > Forum issues and suggestions

Old 19-12-2010
Website User
Forum Handle: Clive-Herts

Default Forum names - does anyone care about the format?

When I signed up, I followed the request here in terms of choosing a forum name: http://www.4x4response.info/showthread.php?t=2

I notice these days that hardly anyone seems to be following either suggested format. I thought the idea of a forum name that indicated your response group was a good one... are people not doing it because they don't agree or because they just aren't aware that (or their full name) is the requested format?
Old 19-12-2010
Former
Forum Handle: Simon Bentley

Amateur Radio Callsign: 2E0HYR

On one of the previous vesions of the forum it used to be more enforced but since moving to V-bulletin (the current software we are using) we have added the custom field "real name" and made the display of this more prominent than a users log in, this has made the rule rather superfluous but it has been left in place to discourage in appropriatte log ins.

Quote:
we would ask that you use your first and last names as a user name when registering, or FirstnameTeamname.
The FirstnameTeamname option was always intended to be the second option with real name in preference. There is no real reason to include your Group name in your login when it is one of the custom fields that you can choose in your profile anyway - you haven't done yours Clive.
Old 19-12-2010
Website User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bentley View Post
The FirstnameTeamname option was always intended to be the second option with real name in preference. There is no real reason to include your Group name in your login when it is one of the custom fields that you can choose in your profile anyway - you haven't done yours Clive.
Maybe worth clarifying the instructions then Simon. Give folks a choice and some of them are bound to choose the option. Or do neither of couse. Given my forum name included my group name, I didn't see the need to add the group name to the optional info..... ;-)
Old 19-12-2010
Former

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive-Herts View Post
Given my forum name included my group name, I didn't see the need to add the group name to the optional info..... ;-)
Which means you won't show up in any searches by group so you might miss out on info sent to group members etc.

Personally I don't really think the user name format matters now, except perhaps for the mobile users if real name doesn't display so perhaps we ought to re-inforce it - thoughts people?
Old 19-12-2010
Website User
Forum Handle: WarrenWE02

Amateur Radio Callsign: M3ZSR

The only concern I would have is that of presenting a professional image to non-members (including, and some would say especially, the press). I think most, if not all 4x4R members would consider themselves to be such.
Certainly we are being taken seriously by the Police, NHS, Ambulance Services and other LRF members so we we should, in turn, return that compliment by presenting ourselves professionally as they do.
Old 19-12-2010
Website User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bentley View Post
Which means you won't show up in any searches by group so you might miss out on info sent to group members etc.
Which sounds important - if anyone posts this way.... and if they do, shouldn't it be a mandatory field when you register?

I don't see the point of only letting folks know what's important in terms of registration details only when someone posts a question about it.... ;-)
Old 19-12-2010
Former

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive-Herts View Post
Which sounds important - if anyone posts this way.... and if they do, shouldn't it be a mandatory field when you register?

I don't see the point of only letting folks know what's important in terms of registration details only when someone posts a question about it.... ;-)
I thought the group box was set to pop up/insist if you haven't filled it on to be honest. Will have to check on that. We can't make it compulsory as not everyone who registers is a responder and has already been shown very few people read the guidelines etc anyway.

Last edited by Simon Bentley; 19-12-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 19-12-2010
Tribal Elder
Forum Handle: BobWessex
4x4 Response UK

National Callsign: WE001
Amateur Radio Callsign: 2E0WRA

We would ask though that a certain appearance of professionalism is maintained.

Any comments entered above; unless stated otherwise; are purely personal.

Life Member and officially resident in kenya since 2016

http://bluebungalowmua.simplesite.com
Old 19-12-2010
Group Membership Admin
Forum Handle: Ross HB
Sussex 4x4 Response

National Callsign: SX010
Default Re: Forum names - does anyone care about the format?

Tbh I was wondering if this rule had been ditched, as a tapatalk user I can't see real names on the posts so it still looks quite un professional.

Old 19-12-2010
Website User
Forum Handle: Alan B Wessex

Hmm, ok, I missed that requirement/protocol as I went into forum registration autopilot. I've been known as NoDo$h / ND on every internet forum I've posted on since the late 1990s (the cunning use of $ means googling me is difficult ) without any issues.

Anyone care to point me at the right place to change my name? I can't see it in the user control panel.