Go Back   4x4 Response UK > National Forums > Come on in > Introductions

Old 06-02-2010
Responder
Forum Handle: Darmain
Wessex 4x4 Response

National Callsign: WE126

Hi People,

Well, here's the news. I went along to the local meet in Devizes last night and meet some Wessex members and some other potential members. We had a good chat and a good evening. Lots of things discussed and lots of questions answered. So, am I still sat on the fence? Well, no. The application form is submitted and off we go. Looking forward to this.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 06-02-2010
Tribal Elder
Forum Handle: BobWessex
4x4 Response UK

National Callsign: WE001
Amateur Radio Callsign: 2E0WRA

Application form received

Any comments entered above; unless stated otherwise; are purely personal.

Life Member and officially resident in kenya since 2016

http://bluebungalowmua.simplesite.com
Old 07-02-2010
Website User
Forum Handle: Tony Ferrari

Welcome Dave!

That took a bit of time but nice to see you finally made it.

And as for that original question about the suitability of a Freelander, well what do you think....

Honorary Life Member of 4x4 Response UK
Founder and member of Hertfordshire 4x4 Response

Vehicles: VW Transporter 4x2 "Command and Control vehicle" Various 2x1 response vehicles (KTM 1090 Adventure R / KTM 450 EXC Rally / KTM 250F Freeride)
Old 07-02-2010
Website User
Forum Handle: stephendrabble

Hi Dave, great news paper work is in..

not all we need is some thing to do..

maybe well meet up some time
Old 07-02-2010
Responder
Wessex 4x4 Response

Thanks very much chaps. It took a while for various reasons but mainly, and recently, because I wanted to make sure that I knew exactly what I was letting myself in for and to be sure I could fit this into both my life at home and work and into the lives of my family. The answers are all there now. The only real way to find out for sure is to do it.

Well, to Steve's message, I suspect I will be seeing you sometime. When's the next pub meet for a start?

To Tony's message. That looks very much like my FL. I found its handling of the snow and ice as just outstanding. I took the step of taking it places that would otherwise have been inaccessable in a normal road car, namely the little lanes on steep hills that had seen little traffic and were covered in snow and ice. With careful driving it handling was spot on. I know the Freelander is considered by some to be not a proper Landrover, and it is true that the Discos, Rangys and Defenders are better in the really rough stuff. However, from my contributions to another forum on Landy's I get the impression that the severe weather, while on road, conditions is where the FL really shines.

What I have not discovered yet is how deep a snow fall it can handle....

Okay, so now that I've started the joining process I had a think about equipment that I should kit the car out with. I already have a small first aid kit on board (having children warrants this) and I've recently refurbished that so its a good start. When the snow first arrived I invested in a reasonable tow strap, a 15 ft strap rated at about 900Kg. Not massive but good enough for most things. It was just in case I came across anyone that was in trouble. As it turned out I didn't, but I was prepared. I've also got a reasonable rechargable working light and a 80 channel CB.

Now, things I am considering investing in, in some sort of order of priority are:

Fire extingusher.

Basic HAM license.

2m radio system.

Second set of hubs, fitted with reasonable all terrain tyres. Not quite so necessary and dependent on money.

The HAM license and kit is based on a conversation at the meeting last Friday, where it was suggested that CB was next to useless. Now I have a technical background and although radio is not my strong point, I have dabbled in years gone by, So I do recognise that the 2m system is superior in range. A friend of mine is a HAM and I've seen what his kit can do. The question I have is this. Is the CB (which I did buy exclusively for 4x4 response) actually useless? I'm going to leave it in the car as its short range operation is okay and more people are likely to have one. However, is the 2m rig a good investment? I don't mind spending a bit to help but I don't want to two radios that have no real use.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Many thanks,

Dave
Old 07-02-2010
Website User

[quote name='Dave Sawyer' date='07 February 2010 - 07:42 PM' timestamp='1265571770' post='11811']

Well, to Steve's message, I suspect I will be seeing you sometime. When's the next pub meet for a start? Dave

[/quote]

you know where the pub is..

text me, ill pop along! any day after 8pm..

easy. thats sorted now!
Old 07-02-2010
Tribal Elder
Forum Handle: BobWessex
4x4 Response UK

National Callsign: WE001
Amateur Radio Callsign: 2E0WRA

[quote name='Dave Sawyer' date='07 February 2010 - 07:42 PM' timestamp='1265571770' post='11811']

Thanks very much chaps. It took a while for various reasons but mainly, and recently, because I wa

Okay, so now that I've started the joining process I had a think about equipment that I should kit the car out with. I already have a small first aid kit on board (having children warrants this) and I've recently refurbished that so its a good start. When the snow first arrived I invested in a reasonable tow strap, a 15 ft strap rated at about 900Kg. Not massive but good enough for most things. It was just in case I came across anyone that was in trouble. As it turned out I didn't, but I was prepared. I've also got a reasonable rechargable working light and a 80 channel CB.

Now, things I am considering investing in, in some sort of order of priority are:

Fire extingusher.

Basic HAM license.

2m radio system.

Second set of hubs, fitted with reasonable all terrain tyres. Not quite so necessary and dependent on money.

The HAM license and kit is based on a conversation at the meeting last Friday, where it was suggested that CB was next to useless. Now I have a technical background and although radio is not my strong point, I have dabbled in years gone by, So I do recognise that the 2m system is superior in range. A friend of mine is a HAM and I've seen what his kit can do. The question I have is this. Is the CB (which I did buy exclusively for 4x4 response) actually useless? I'm going to leave it in the car as its short range operation is okay and more people are likely to have one. However, is the 2m rig a good investment? I don't mind spending a bit to help but I don't want to two radios that have no real use.

[/quote]

Dave, don't buy a radio yet before you get the licence wait to we next have some training sessions set up.

Re the CB always worth having as they are absolutely invaluable for short range vehicle to vehicle (convoy) comms leavng the 2 metre band free for vehicle to control commsunications.

Any comments entered above; unless stated otherwise; are purely personal.

Life Member and officially resident in kenya since 2016

http://bluebungalowmua.simplesite.com
Old 07-02-2010
Website User

hi, talk to JIM at http://www.4x4cb.com/

Very helpfull, got me sorted CB wise..

Pete was going to looking getting some radio training sorted. so hopefully a few can get our licence sorted

nb.. not sure hoe Mrs will like the idea of another arial though...
Old 07-02-2010
Responder
Wessex 4x4 Response

[quote name='stephendrabble' date='07 February 2010 - 09:43 PM' timestamp='1265579004' post='11821']

hi, talk to JIM at http://www.4x4cb.com/

Very helpfull, got me sorted CB wise..

Pete was going to looking getting some radio training sorted. so hopefully a few can get our licence sorted

[/quote]

Hi Steve, Got the CB already and all fitted and working. It was the suggestion it was no use that had me scratching me head.

[quote name='stephendrabble' date='07 February 2010 - 09:43 PM' timestamp='1265579004' post='11821']

nb.. not sure hoe Mrs will like the idea of another arial though...

[/quote]

Tell her the porkupine look is in this year....
Old 07-02-2010
Responder
Wessex 4x4 Response

[quote name='BobWessex' date='07 February 2010 - 09:36 PM' timestamp='1265578596' post='11819']

Dave, don't buy a radio yet before you get the licence wait to we next have some training sessions set up.

Re the CB always worth having as they are absolutely invaluable for short range vehicle to vehicle (convoy) comms leavng the 2 metre band free for vehicle to control commsunications.

[/quote]

Hi Bob, My thoughts exactly. I was trying to verify the need for 2m. If its useful then I'll go for it so please count me in on the training.

And sorry to Pete C, who when he asked if I wanted training I replied "No". In retrospect, that was definately the wrong answer.

Lets hope I don't get the bug and end up with a serious array in the back garden.

That'll take some explaining to the wife!!