Go Back   4x4 Response UK > National Forums > Come on in > Introductions

Old 10-09-2011
Website User
Forum Handle: limegreenjohn

Default Hello from Worcestershire

Evenin all,
Thinking about becoming a responder, but am unsure to my abilities, not so much the driving side of things but map reading (as I've not done any) and radio etiquette, as the only experience I have of this is green laning and play day's with friends, and I'm sure you can imagine what goes on there.
Might head off to some of the Gloucestershire and Worcestershire training day's etc to get a better grasp of what goes on.
I've had a look on the required equipment page/list and will be purchasing all of the items listed in due time, if nothing else it would be good practice.
Any how off to do some more nosing around.
Any advice kindly received.

Regards

John P
Old 10-09-2011
Responder
Forum Handle: Mary Sinclair
Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response

National Callsign: GR61

Hi there, I joined Glos & Worcs in Jan this year, and its been good fun so far. Come along to one of our meetings
http://www.gloucestershire4x4respons...=35&Itemid=101
and you can chat & find out what its all about before joining. That's what I did. Best to send Peter Willis membership@gw4x4r.co.uk a quick email to let him know you're thinking about joining so he'll keep a look out for you.

Some of them are out fundraising tonight & tomorrow, so they might not be able to respond this weekend. They're at the Emergency Services show tomorrow in Hullavington.

Once you join you'll get sent on the BORDA course at Whitecliff (Forest of Dean). Map reading does get taught on the training meets, but dont panic - most can be done by satnav. Radio etiquette is also taught and we get to practice at the fund raising days when we act as Marshals. Although I still have the ability to completely forget my call sign as soon as I press the talk button!

As for kit - I still need to get some bits & pieces, I need some more recovery strops & shackles. You dont need to buy it all at once. The CB might be not so important as we are trialling some VHF radios at present. I think top of the list is the 1st aid kit, torch, wellies/boots, snow shovel & fire extinguisher. Keeping yourself safe is most important. HiViz is issued by the group. Then recovery kit - I had to fit a towbar first so there was no point in buying strops til that was done.

Do come along, we need more Worcs people.

Hope to see you soon, Mary
Old 11-09-2011
Responder
Forum Handle: Ron
Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response

National Callsign: GR63

Hi John,

I joined G&W February this Year (so am still a novice) and although we haven't had any snow since then, it is great to help out with charity & fund raising events.

As Mary said, we can really do with more people in the Worcs area.

If you can come to our next training session we will be more than happy to advise on standard set of kit.

Hope to see you soon, Ron
Old 12-09-2011
Website User
Forum Handle: Darren Gloucester

Amateur Radio Callsign: M0GCN

Hi John
Welcome to 4x4 Response. I am the Chairman of Gloucestershire-Worcestershire 4x4 response.
Just to reinforce what the guys said above. Give our membership officer a call or drop him an email. He will be please to atke you through our joining system and answer any questions that you may have.

You do not need to have all the minimal kit to join, but you will to become a call out responder.

Please feel free to pop in to one of our meetings.

Cheers
Darren