Go Back   4x4 Response UK > National Forums > Come on in > Got a question & general information

Old 21-01-2013
Group Management
Forum Handle: filbert
Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response

National Callsign: GW088
Default Volvo XC70 - what would I need to add?

I have a 2008 Volvo XC70 fitted with Pirelli Scorpion STR Mud & Snow tyres. I have virtually no off road experience (but I'm willing to learn...).

I have seen something about needing a towbar (I don't currently have one but that can be fixed), something at the front of the car and a CB radio (does it need to be fitted to the car? I've no idea where one goes for that sort of thing).

Currently I live near Malvern (Worcs) at weekends and work in Hook near Basingstoke during the week.

I'm interested in volunteering - can anyone give me any guidance on what I would need to do to the vehicle to make it useful?

Rgrds

Peter
Old 21-01-2013
Website User
Forum Handle: trevmales

hi you dont really need to do all that to be honest, a handheld cb if your groups uses them would be fine, and tow bars are not needed, we dont as a rule tow, im sure your local rep will be along soon. and welcome.
Old 21-01-2013
Responder
Forum Handle: jamie.read
Tayside 4x4 Response

National Callsign: TA01
Amateur Radio Callsign: M6BHS

I`m sure the rep for your area will give you more specific info, but we have "standard" 4x4s running in our team.
As a guide-
Radio- amateur or cb (depends on your teams reqs)
Recovery points front and rear

Then there`s the kit you carry, mainly for yourself, as a guide-
First aid kit
Tow rope/recovery strap
Spare clothes
Torch
Sleeping bag/blanket
24hrs food and drink
Fire extinguisher
Fuel can
Tools- for wheel change etc
Shovel

No major changes to your vehicle should be required, but each team will have specific guidance.
Driver training/assessment will be part of your induction I should think, as would navigation, first aid and radio protocols.

If you look in the pane on the right>>> you should be able to find your areas rep who will give you better insight into what you will need.

Registered in Scotland SCO42452

info@tayside4x4response.co.uk
All comments are personal and may not reflect the view of T4x4R or 4x4RUK.
Old 21-01-2013
Responder
Forum Handle: Mary Sinclair

National Callsign: GR61

Ron in our team (Glos & Worcs) was running an XC for a while so he could give you a rundown. I'll nudge him to look at this.

PS - we issue team VHF radios and ensure all drivers are sent on a BORDA course, we are always on the look out for new Worcs members.
Old 21-01-2013
Responder
Forum Handle: Ash Smith
Wessex 4x4 Response

National Callsign: WE 75
Amateur Radio Callsign: M6 EPO

Hi Peter

I've got an XC70 too, until now just about the only one on the forum.

You'll find the XC to be highly capable in on road, adverse conditions. The standard Pirelli's are ok but I'll be changing to Uniroyal MS+66 tyres next time. These are Mud and Snow rated but also winter rated which the STR's are not.

To make the XC more effective I've added some kit. My cell phone and sat nav are mounted on non damage Brodit mounts from DSL Developments, much better than windscreen mounted rubbish.

I've fitted Volvo rubber mats all round along with other vehicle protection items such as a load liner and mud flaps.

You'll need a good map book for your area of operation, the Phillips series (available everywhere) are good plus some OS maps. Your group will be able to advise on their recommendations.

Comms wise, I find a handheld CB with an external aerial works well, that way there's no drilling of the dashboard. I use a Midland 42 CB with a short InteK 1345 magnetic aerial, both available from Thunderpole communications. I also carry VHF/UHF radios but thats another issue.

The recommended kit list is on the site somewhere but the basics of First Aid Kit (ideally to British Standard) and a good fire extinguisher head the list.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like any advice on the XC

Kind regards
Old 21-01-2013
Responder
Forum Handle: Ron

National Callsign: GR63

Hi Peter,

As Mary said, I have used an XC90 for a few Years as a responder. The 70 and 90 share the same drivetrain with the only difference that the 90 has a bit more ground clearance.

They are very capable vehicles especially in snow/mud conditions with the tyres you have fitted.
As to vehicle modifications, I think you have done the most important one by fitting a decent set of tyres.

As you are in Malvern (worcs), you fall under our area (Gloucs & Worcs).
We don't really use CB anymore within our group as we now have our own VHF network. Radios will be provided by the group and can be fitted to any car as plug & play (ie via cigarette lighter & magmount aerial).
As Jamie mentioned, important part is the kit you carry mainly to keep yourself going.

Training will be provided, including BORDA and various others

If you want further info or interested in joining, please contact our membership officer (Pete Willis) at membership@gw4x4r.co.uk or myself at training@gw4x4r.co.uk

Best regards, Ron
Old 22-01-2013
Group Membership Admin
Forum Handle: robin-baldwin
Breckland Rover Rescue

National Callsign: BR28
Amateur Radio Callsign: M3RQQ

The most important piece of kit is what you carry between your ears, anything else can be added later.
www.brecklandlrc.com
Disco 2 TD5, 101FC Ambulance, LR 109 Series 3

Any thoughts or ideas expressed are my own and even I can't be held responsible for them anymore.
Old 22-01-2013
Group Management

Thanks for all the encouraging messages.
I am a fan of Brodit holders (as Ash mentions) and have had one for my SatNav in the last three or four vehicles I have owned. I have a Bluetooth thing for the phone – it came with the vehicle, not that I’m in the habit of making calls when I’m driving but it’s handy for the occasional incomer.

As for map reading – I learned to drive and navigate many years before SatNav was thought of! I’m also trained as a first aider (and defib) at work, although it’s a while since I did the training and haven’t had to use it yet – must check up on refresher courses…

I mentioned tow bar as the Group Capabilities list on the board here says:
• Equipped with a fixed rear recovery point (A correctly fitted Towing ball is a minimum with Ball & Pin preferable)
• Equipped with a fixed front recovery point. Where practicable fixed front recovery point (may not be possible with all vehicles)

I think my car has a detachable towing eye for the front (and rear for that matter).

I hadn’t heard of the MS+66 tyres and I have only just replaced the ones that were on there (Scorpion Zero Assimetrico). I went for the STR as I had them on my previous (54 reg) XC70 and was impressed with how well they performed during the 2010 winter snow.

Most of the other bits of kit I can rustle up – toolkit and shovel, etc. I do have a small first aid kit but I can look out for a ‘proper’ one.

I’ll follow up with the Worcs & Glos folks.

Rgrds Peter
Old 22-01-2013
Group Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin-baldwin View Post
The most important piece of kit is what you carry between your ears, anything else can be added later.
Common sense is not always as common as it should be!
Old 09-12-2013
Group Management

Hi Again ..

I did the BORDA course at Whitecliff, Coleford, yesterday (in one of their Disco's). Very enjoyable and interesting.

They also gave me the chance to take my XC70 in some pretty muddy areas and I was impressed with how well it coped. Bryn, from Whitecliff seemed to be as well.
The main problem would be ground clearance compared to the Disco (it also has a longer wheelbase at 110" compared to 100") and the lack of a low range. Volvo would never claim it as an off-roader but I'd be less hesitant in going a bit off the main track, if I had to.

Rgrds Peter