Go Back   4x4 Response UK > National Forums > Come on in > New Teams

Old 01-03-2011
Website User
Forum Handle: Renny Thomson

Amateur Radio Callsign: MM0KOZ
Default Fife 4x4 Response

We are looking at establishing a group to cover Fife. It was originally the Tayside group's intention to cover this area but they decided it was too big a geographical area. There has been a lot of 4x4 support from the local RAYNET group to the LA but it was suggested that a 4x4 Response group would be a better option to operate under. We hope to get some assistance in establishing the group from Tayside and could have about 10 members up and ready quite quickly. The biggest issues will be the paperwork and time.

Old 01-03-2011
Website User
Forum Handle: Navigator

Amateur Radio Callsign: GM1VBE

As we at Strathclyde are just going through the start-up process ourselves we will give you any help we can. Good luck!

STRATHCLYDE 4x4 RESPONSE
Scottish Charity SC042216
Covering the Local Authority areas of Argyll & Bute, East Ayrshire, East Dunbartonshire, East Renfrewshire, Glasgow City, Inverclyde, North Ayrshire, North Lanarkshire, Renfrewshire, South Ayrshire, South Lanarkshire, and West Dunbartonshire.
Old 01-03-2011
Responder
Forum Handle: jamie.read
Tayside 4x4 Response

National Callsign: TA01
Amateur Radio Callsign: M6BHS

Nice one Renny, I have mentioned this to the national trustees already, they were all a massive help to us. And of course we will help where possible, we are after all, going to be neighbours!
Old 01-03-2011
Responder
Forum Handle: kilty
Tayside 4x4 Response

National Callsign: TA06
Amateur Radio Callsign: MM6KLT

Well done Renny-have fun
Old 01-03-2011
Tribal Elder
Forum Handle: BobWessex
4x4 Response UK

National Callsign: WE001
Amateur Radio Callsign: 2E0WRA

Hi Renny,

Speaking as a national trustee we would be happy to see any "uncovered areas" develop a team. Can I suggest though that you might find it easier to be part of Tayside, simply because as each group has a number of roles to fill a larger group can find more 'volunteers' for each role, i.e. membership sec, chairman Treasurer etc. However it is clear that Tayside will be there to support you.

Any comments entered above; unless stated otherwise; are purely personal.

Life Member and officially resident in kenya since 2016

http://bluebungalowmua.simplesite.com
Old 01-03-2011
Responder
Forum Handle: jamie.read
Tayside 4x4 Response

National Callsign: TA01
Amateur Radio Callsign: M6BHS

Well said Bob, I think I speak on behalf of everyone at Tayside when I say we`d be very happy to accept members from fife, but equally, we would support any group formed if you feel a seperate team is the way to go.
Old 01-03-2011
Website User
Forum Handle: redrascal

Well said jamie. I agree. We are here to help either way. Good luck guys.
Old 01-03-2011
Website User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWessex View Post
Hi Renny,

Speaking as a national trustee we would be happy to see any "uncovered areas" develop a team. Can I suggest though that you might find it easier to be part of Tayside, simply because as each group has a number of roles to fill a larger group can find more 'volunteers' for each role, i.e. membership sec, chairman Treasurer etc. However it is clear that Tayside will be there to support you.
Thanks Bob for your advice. We have already spoken to Jamie about this and feel that operationally, there are advantages on working on a geographical area. Fife's boundaries are quite well defined, separating us from our neighbours in Tayside and Lothians. We have probably got a core of individuals who will be able and willing to take on the "management" roles, and hope to utilise the experience of the Fife RAYNET group members who have historically assisted the local authority with logistic support but are, to an extent, hampered by their national groups remit. However we might be worthwhile to set up as satellite of Tayside initially.
We also know from first hand experience that when calls for assistance during the recent bad weather, the existing Lothians group were unable to help in Fife due to the demands placed on them by services south of the Forth. I also am aware that there were offers of 4x4 assistance from volunteers living in Fife which the council and NHS Board were unable to utilise due to a lack of coordination.
In my work I have good links with the Council Emergency Planning Officer and was the main user of the 4x4 assistance from not only RAYNET, but also the Countryside Rangers and Coastguard.
I think a Fife Group is feasible and sustainable.

Old 01-03-2011
Website User
Forum Handle: ColinR

Amateur Radio Callsign: 2M0CRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renny Thomson View Post
Thanks Bob for your advice. We have already spoken to Jamie about this and feel that operationally, there are advantages on working on a geographical area. Fife's boundaries are quite well defined, separating us from our neighbours in Tayside and Lothians. We have probably got a core of individuals who will be able and willing to take on the "management" roles, and hope to utilise the experience of the Fife RAYNET group members who have historically assisted the local authority with logistic support but are, to an extent, hampered by their national groups remit. However we might be worthwhile to set up as satellite of Tayside initially.
We also know from first hand experience that when calls for assistance during the recent bad weather, the existing Lothians group were unable to help in Fife due to the demands placed on them by services south of the Forth. I also am aware that there were offers of 4x4 assistance from volunteers living in Fife which the council and NHS Board were unable to utilise due to a lack of coordination.
In my work I have good links with the Council Emergency Planning Officer and was the main user of the 4x4 assistance from not only RAYNET, but also the Countryside Rangers and Coastguard.
I think a Fife Group is feasible and sustainable.
Renny just to correct you Lothian 4x4 Response did help in Fife when asked, also on one occaison when no resources were available locally we sent two vehicles over to assist when an anbulance was stuck, they were stood down as they crossed the bridge. We also have a couple of members from Fife.
We Cover the following Council area's: West Lothian, Mid Lothian, East Lothian, Edinburgh, Falkirk, Clackmannanshire, Stirling and parts of Scottish Borders Council.

Find us on Facebook: http://on.fb.me/myh49d Find us on Twitter: http://bit.ly/AdASS9
Old 02-03-2011
Website User

Apologies Colin, I hope that Lothians can assist us in establishing the Fife group and we'd appreciate help and hope the groups can work together.