View Single Post
Old 18-09-2009
Responder
Forum Handle: Darmain
Wessex 4x4 Response

National Callsign: WE126
Default Re: Greetings from Darmain

Hi Tony,

My Hippo is a five door station wagon so no removable roof.

I have one idea to try and that is under the grab rail on the passenger side. In my Hippo I don't have a passenger side airbag so I'm going to have a look at removing the panel where it should be and seeing if I can fit the rig in there.

Alternatively I have considered getting a steel plate cut to fit the dash tray in the centre and then fitting the mounting bracket to that, the rig then secured on top of the dash. Not so keen as in an accident it could get airbourne and hit people. Also I would have to take it away and hide it when I'm away from the car.

I had to get myself up to date on CB as I see there are now 80 channels available. Quite amused by this as when I used to use a CB in the mid 90s, so many channels were never used, so what do we want another 40 for? I note that some rigs have selectable AM/FM but I assume that AM and its SSB derivatives are still illegal in the UK. I gave up with the rig in the past as all it seemed to have was people getting up on Westbury White Horse and seeing how far they could reach out. Trouble was I didn't have enough gain to get back to them, not that I actually wanted to. I used to put the rig on in the evening while doing other things. There was a couple of blokes always having a good old natter. Regularly on every night and the conversations used to be better than television. Then the rig failed, I think due to a broken wire in the mic cable. I'm an electronics engineer by trade but not into RF and although I fixed the problem and proved it out I never got that rig to work again. Assume something else had given up. RF electronics is a black art to me so I didn't spend to much time in diagnosing the problem. The rig ended up in the attic and eventually got turfed. Hopefully this new equipment will have a good SWR value and a better range.

As a matter of interest I gather that CB still uses "Handles". How does this generally work with the 4x4 network. Is there a standard that you follow? Do you use Q codes and / or 10 codes?

Many thanks,

Dave

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Sponsors

» Donate to 4x4 Response
» Online Users: 675
0 members and 675 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,862, 18-03-2024 at 11:22 PM.