Go Back   4x4 Response UK

View Single Post
Old 17-01-2010
Website User
Forum Handle: mark avo

Must disagree with the comments about those who only turn out when it hits the fan.

There is a place for everyone as long as they are not a complete t@sser.

If I was out in some really nasty weather I'd much rather be with someone I know to be properly trained & expirienced BUT If I was stuck in a drift & I had the choice of a 'wannabe'/'glory hunter' or nothing I'll take the former - If he knows nothing I'll try to explain what I need. If said 'glory hunter' turns out to know what he's doing then all the better.

Of the few things we've done as a new group, sometimes you just need bodies - As long as someone can keep an eye on them I dont see a problem.

Back to the fees though - as I mentioned earlier. I think that anyone not prepared to pay a tenner to join a well organisied group & receive newsletter/stickers/training etc etc is welcome to go elsewhere. Perhaps it's a matter of price - I doubt anyone you complain at £5, maybe 10 tops. Once you get to 15/20 then maybe that's a bit much.

I've just had another thought that may turn this around.

Say there's a 'bloke down the road'. You know him fairly well & he's a top bloke, much expirienced offroader, done loads of winching etc but doesnt want the hassle of joining up, doing training, etc etc. He has said to you the if you ever need help, give him a call.

Should there be a mechanism for including them in the group as a backup/emergency resource - I think there should. I know that if I was stuck in this theoretical ditch/drift that I would be very happy to see him, perhaps moreso than any of the club members.

So there, merit in both sides of the argument
  • If you want to get involved on a regular basis then pay up.
  • If you are prepared to help out once in a blue moon & your qualifications can be vouched for by a trusted member then you should be on a backup/emergency register so you can be involved should the need arise.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Sponsors

» Donate to 4x4 Response
» Online Users: 562
0 members and 562 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,862, 18-03-2024 at 11:22 PM.