Go Back   4x4 Response UK

View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010
Tribal Elder
Forum Handle: BobWessex
4x4 Response UK

National Callsign: WE001
Amateur Radio Callsign: 2E0WRA

[quote name='Dave Sawyer' date='07 February 2010 - 07:42 PM' timestamp='1265571770' post='11811']

Thanks very much chaps. It took a while for various reasons but mainly, and recently, because I wa

Okay, so now that I've started the joining process I had a think about equipment that I should kit the car out with. I already have a small first aid kit on board (having children warrants this) and I've recently refurbished that so its a good start. When the snow first arrived I invested in a reasonable tow strap, a 15 ft strap rated at about 900Kg. Not massive but good enough for most things. It was just in case I came across anyone that was in trouble. As it turned out I didn't, but I was prepared. I've also got a reasonable rechargable working light and a 80 channel CB.

Now, things I am considering investing in, in some sort of order of priority are:

Fire extingusher.

Basic HAM license.

2m radio system.

Second set of hubs, fitted with reasonable all terrain tyres. Not quite so necessary and dependent on money.

The HAM license and kit is based on a conversation at the meeting last Friday, where it was suggested that CB was next to useless. Now I have a technical background and although radio is not my strong point, I have dabbled in years gone by, So I do recognise that the 2m system is superior in range. A friend of mine is a HAM and I've seen what his kit can do. The question I have is this. Is the CB (which I did buy exclusively for 4x4 response) actually useless? I'm going to leave it in the car as its short range operation is okay and more people are likely to have one. However, is the 2m rig a good investment? I don't mind spending a bit to help but I don't want to two radios that have no real use.

[/quote]

Dave, don't buy a radio yet before you get the licence wait to we next have some training sessions set up.

Re the CB always worth having as they are absolutely invaluable for short range vehicle to vehicle (convoy) comms leavng the 2 metre band free for vehicle to control commsunications.

Any comments entered above; unless stated otherwise; are purely personal.

Life Member and officially resident in kenya since 2016

http://bluebungalowmua.simplesite.com

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Sponsors

» Donate to 4x4 Response
» Online Users: 549
0 members and 549 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 2,862, 18-03-2024 at 11:22 PM.